This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day approaching, we’ve all started planning, or at least thinking about how we want to celebrate. There’s a plethora of events in Richmond suited for however you’d like to celebrate the occasion. The day doesn’t necessarily need to be spent with a romantic partner or even celebrated by just one person! There are plenty of fun things to do with friends, family or even by yourself all around Richmond.

Salsa and Bachata Lessons on the Roof

On Feb. 14, you can learn salsa dancing and bachata with a partner or even yourself. Lessons will be from 8 to 10 p.m. with a DJ playing until 11 p.m. Your ticket includes chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne. Ticket prices differ for couples and singles, $20/$35. The event will be held at Kabana Rooftop, 700 East Main St.

Speed dating

Whether you’re looking for love or to meet new people, speed dating is always a fun time. On Feb. 9, you can spend three minute intervals in the hot seat getting to know all sorts of people in the Richmond area. From 8 to 10 p.m., you can also access free food, drinks and games. Pictures are available at the link to see what it might look like! The event will be held at The 4 Cyber Cafe, 4 West Broad St.

Drag brunch

On Feb. 5, you can be blessed with some quality entertainment, good food and drinks. I recently attended this event in early January, and it was amazing to say the least. The event will last from 12 to 2:30 pm. You can get brunch at the Fugly Duckling food truck outside of the event. Be sure to arrive early enough, as they sell out fast. You can also order food to the event. The actual show starts around 1 p.m. Entry is free, but be sure to bring singles to tip the queens! The event will be held at Starr Hill Richmond Beer Hall & Rooftop, 3406 West Leigh St.

Build your own bouquet

On Feb. 11, from 3 to 5 p.m., you can make a bouquet! Provided will be ribbons, paints, papers and other craft tools to make your own floral arrangements. Tickets are $25 with all materials included. The event will be held at SCRAP Creative Reuse, 119 Brookland Park Blvd. 

make and experience art

On Feb. 11, join Artspace Richmond in their Community Art Day. From 1 to 3 p.m., materials will be provided to make Valentine’s crafts. You can also view current exhibitions in their art gallery. Entry is free! The event will be held at 2833-A Hathaway Road in Richmond.

Whether you plan to spend the holiday with your friends, family, a special someone or even yourself, there’s plenty to do in Richmond. If you are looking to go out, make art or have a low-key, low-budget celebration, there’s something for everyone in these events. 

Abigale Darnell (she/her) is a student in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University with a minor in Creative Writing. She has an interest in holistic wellness, female empowerment, fashion and pop culture.