Dorm Friendly Back-to-School Breakfasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Let’s be honest, many of us don’t have enough time to cook breakfast or eat at the dining hall before that morning class. Here are five dishes that can be prepared both quickly and easily.

Woman holding a white mug with breakfast food and a book open on a bed
Pexels / The Lazy Artist Gallery

Yogurt Parfait

Yogurt parfaits are a simple and healthy breakfast. The best part—it’s also a super convenient dish for meal prepping. I recommend investing in some mason jars, which very convenient for meal prepping.

What you’ll need: yogurt of your choice, fruits of your choice, granola, nuts, honey and/or maple syrup for a drizzle. 

How to make it: Layer the yogurt, fruit, granola and nuts in the mason jar. Drizzle with a sweetener such as honey or maple syrup. Store in the fridge overnight and enjoy in the morning 

Chia Pudding

Chia Pudding is another healthy yet simple recipe. Chia seeds are also rich in antioxidants and a great ingredient to add to your breakfast. Chia pudding can also be meal prepped for the week. I also recommend using mason jars for this dish.

What you’ll need: chia seeds, milk of choice (almond, coconut, etc.), vanilla extract, cinnamon, toppings of your choice (nuts, honey, fruit, peanut butter, etc.)

How to make it: Mix the chia seeds*, milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon in your mason jar and place in the fridge overnight. Enjoy in the morning with the toppings of your choice.
*1/4 cup of chia seeds for every 1 cup of milk

Overnight Oats 

Oatmeal is a healthy and filling breakfast option. With overnight oats, you can easily make enough for the whole week. I also recommend meal prepping this dish in mason jars. 

What you’ll need: rolled oats, choice of milk, chia seeds, honey, toppings of your choice (nuts, honey, fruit, peanut butter, etc.)

How to make it: Mix equal parts of oats and milk in the mason jar and then mix in some chia seeds and honey (or any other sweetener pf your preference). Store in the fridge overnight. Enjoy in the morning, either cold or warm it up. Add any toppings of your choice. 

Eggs in a Mug

Did you know you can easily make scrambled eggs in the microwave? It’s super easy and only takes a few minutes. Eggs are a great source of protein and energy and perfect for a quick breakfast meal.

What you’ll need: microwavable mug, one egg, salt, choice of vegetables( optional), shredded cheese (optional)

How to make it: Beat an egg until in the mug. Add salt and vegetables for a healthier and more filling meal. Microwave for 90 seconds. Top it with cheese and enjoy!

Pancake in a Mug

It might sound strange, but you can make pancakes in a mug in a matter of minutes. I recommend buying a pancake mix or a premade pancake batter, which is easily available in any grocery store.

What you’ll need: pancake batter, microwavable mug, butter, maple syrup

How to make it: Mix your pancake batter in a microwavable mug. Microwave for 1 minute. Top with butter, maple syrup and any other toppings of your choice.

Sanjana Ravulapalli is a Junior at VCU, double majoring in Political science and Digital Journalism. She currently serves as the Vice President and Events Director for Her Campus at VCU. She loves art, theatre, writing, politics and exploring Richmond. She hopes to find herself working for a major media outlet in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!