This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Recently, a friend a mine asked me to do her makeup for a Halloween look so one night we sat down and practiced. At first, she could not decide on what she wanted to be turned into, a zombie, a skeleton or an actual movie character. However, she finally chose the main female character from Avatar, Neytiri, so we pulled up a photo of her and got to work. Here is how to recreate the look:

Materials:

-Light foundation/white costume face makeup

-Concealer

-Translucent Powder

-Morphe Jaclyn Hill palette/or similar colors

-A lot of makeup brushes

-Beauty blender(s)

-Highlighter

-Liquid Lipstick/ Lipstick of your choosing

Character we are aiming to look like:

Start by washing your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water. I recommend the Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and then moisturize your face with moisturizer. I used the Simple Kind To Skin Rich Replenishing Moisturizer.

After these beginning steps, get your face ready for all the stuff that is about to be on it by using a primer. I used the Rimmel Stay Matte Primer. Once your face is primed, start to apply foundation liberally, but evenly, to your face. If you are working with darker skin and a light foundation you will need to build up the foundation to an even base. In order to reach a smooth base I used about three coats of the Maybelline Fit Me! Matte and Poreless Foundation in 110 Porcelain. After making sure the base was completely even, I applied some concealer to cover any blemishes or dark circles that were still visible underneath the foundation. I used the Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer in 125 fair. Now to make sure that the base stays completely still during the rest of the makeup application and night, I used the Maybelline Facestudio Master Fix Setting + Perfecting Loose Powder in 10 Translucent.

Now it’s time to truly start the transformation into an Avatar woman. For this entire look, aside from the highlight, I used the Morphe Jaclyn Hill palette. For the base color, I used the matte teal shade Jada to cover her entire face and then took the shimmery shade Pool Party and put it on top. Once the color is completely opaque, take the shade Twerk on a thin liner brush and make lines along the cheeks and forehead until it resembles the markings shown on the picture at the top. After making these lines go ahead and do the eyes, this is where you can basically do whatever you want, but I chose to do a look with black and brown shades, as to not take away from the face.

First, I took the concealer that I used on her face and put that on her eye and then packed it down with the shade Beam. Then in the middle of the eyelid, I placed the golden shimmery shade Queen and blended it into the inner corner. Then I took the shade Abyss and placed it on the outer corner and worked it up to reach her eyebrow as a type of dramatic winged look, slightly blending it in. Finally, I took Enlight and placed it under the brow bone. Since she already had nicely shaped brows, I took a spoolie brush and brushed them into place and then took an eyebrow brush with a mixture of Chip and Soda Pop and used it as a brow color.

To finish off the look I took the Artist Couture Diamond Glow Powder in Illuminati on a concealer brush and dotted highlight powder across her face in random patterns. Then I put ColorPop Ultra Satin in Mess Around on the lips, but you can use any kind of natural color if you choose.

Here is the finished look:

Photo by Autumn Mason

Although this Halloween makeup look takes some time and patience, the pay off is totally worth it. Do this look on yourself or your friend for a Halloween party and watch everyone stare in amazement at your masterpiece. All you have to do is pair this makeup look with a full blue outfit, and you’re an avatar! Simple and glam at the same time.

Photo Credits: 1, 2.

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!