Did Astrology and Tarot Predict the Outcome of the 2020 Election?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Over the past month, I have seen dozens of TikToks concerning astrology and tarot cards. Out of these videos, I found the ones predicting the outcome of the 2020 Presidential Election the most interesting. A lot of these TikToks were by Maren Altman. In one video, she states that Biden is having eclipses in his first and seventh houses’ axises, which has happened to every presidential winner. The first house is the house of self, and the seventh house is our relationship to others, so with these two houses being supercharged, it is no surprise that this would positively impact Biden’s trail to the presidency.

In fact, this actually happened to Donald Trump in the 2016 Presidential Election. Continuing, she also states that this year in astrology is big for Kamala Harris as she is entering one of the biggest astrological peaks in her life. I found this extremely interesting because you can only wonder, is this peak the vice presidency or something bigger? Inspired by Maren Altman’s video, I decided to do my own research in order to find out who would win through my tarot cards, pendulum and astrology. 

My first thought was to ask my pendulum, a divination tool used to ask basic questions. To do this, I had to ask the object to show me which direction yes and no were when it swings. The first question I asked was simple, “Will Joe Biden win the presidency?” 

pendulum
Photo by fotografierende from Pexels

The pendulum swung immediately in the direction of yes. To follow up, I asked if Donald Trump will remain in office. As confirmation of the previous answer, it swung in the direction of no. This was interesting to me, but it did not prove that it was predicting the future. 

Maren Altman’s TikTok provides why she predicted Joe Biden winning the presidency, but I decided to delve deeper into astrology in order to see if there was anything else written in the stars. During my research, I found several other astrologers who predicted Donald Trump winning and some who even argued that Maren made too much out of Joe Biden’s eclipses. Moreover, some have even debated that Nostradamus, a famous French astrologer, predicted Trump having two terms in “Les Propheties.”  People believe this because, in Nostradamus’ book, he references a “trumpet,” which some have stated could be an allusion to Donald Trump. 

Lastly, I decided to ask my tarot deck. I shuffled the cards and got ready to pull two cards. One card I pulled to see Joe Biden’s career and future, and the other was for Donald Trump’s career and future. When I flipped the two cards over, it revealed that Trump had gotten The World reversed, which could mean stagnation or underachievement. Joe Biden had received Three of Cups translating to celebrations or happiness. This was further evidence to me that perhaps astrology and tarot can predict outcomes of elections, but I do feel like there is a tad bit of bias when trying to form these predictions. While Maren Altman’s astrology and my own research did predict that Joe Biden would win, which he did, I know I secretly was hoping he would win in the back of my mind as well.

Kaitlyn Austin is an alumnus of Virginia Commonwealth University, with a bachelor's in political science with a concentration in civil rights. She is passionate about social justice, advocacy, and astrology.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!