This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Let’s face it… all bread is good because bread is a creation that comes straight from Heaven. However I must say, some bread was created a little less equivalent to the others. We are fortunate to have multiple different bakeries in Richmond that have quality, old-world style bread and baked goods. Here are several options for awesome bread in RVA.

1 – Sub Rosa in Church Hill

Sub Rosa has a unique, earthy vibe that makes you instantly feel at home. They offer about half a dozen different varieties of bread and pastries per day and also have a full espresso bar. Drink specials are also frequent, and a mint tea latte has been a popular feature.

2 – Idle Hands in the Fan

Idle Hands is closer to campus and provides just as quality baked goods as Sub Rosa, but with a little different ambiance. Idle Hands is smaller, and they don’t usually have floral arrangements or amazing architecture… but its location is magical. Settled in an area of Strawberry Street near Fox Elementary School, Idle Hands is nestled in between Scoop ice cream and eight and a half Italian, amongst other cute and convenient local businesses such as Strawberry Street Cafe and Market and Strawberry Fields Flowers and Gifts. This makes for an entire trip of visiting shops that Strawberry Street has to offer after picking up some killer pastries and bread so it’s a win-win.

3 – Montana Gold Bread Company

Conveniently located near Carytown, Montana Gold is a veteran of the bread industry of Richmond, opening in 1994. They stock bread, pastries and desserts and even make fresh sandwiches to go for a satisfying lunch. Their Mountain Herb bread is their most famous feature and sells out quickly on a daily basis.

4 – Billy Bread in the Fan

Billy Bread offers mostly your standard set of bread varieties and a couple special little treats… but the bread is crispy on the outside and dreamily soft on the inside, just how a perfect loaf should be.

Bread is the most important meal of the day, right? Make it a memorable one with a loaf from one of these local to-die-for bakeries.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4.

Madeline Wheeler is a journalist major with a focus in print and online journalism at VCU. In her free time, she enjoys drinking floral teas, going to underground concerts in smoky basements, and hunting for keys to the past in antique stores.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!