This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Each day, girls come face-to-face with a multitude of ads, billboards and more that tell them how to conduct themselves in today’s society. Because of this, many of their peers expect them to follow the standards set by the media, but not all girls are the same. With all of these influences, it can get difficult for girl to remain confident with who they truly are.

Today is international Girls Day, a day which celebrates girls across the globe. Created by the Confidence Coalition, today aims to inspire girls with all kinds of interests; the doctor, the teacher, the entrepreneur, and everything in between.

To celebrate International Girls Day, a few Her Campus at VCU members wrote a couple of messages they would like to share with their younger selves, using the hashtag, #DearYoungerMe.

Taylor Mickel

#DearYoungerMe. I hope you know that you’re doing everything right and that by being involved in so many organizations you are setting yourself up for the ultimate success. All the mistakes you’ve made up until now have been for your benefit and have made you such a stronger and more independent woman. Your glow up phase will be amazing and no matter what you’re support system will be there to make sure you are valued. Love older self.

Sara Shadpour

#DearYoungerMe. Quit being so shy and concerned with how people see you. Start speaking up and participating instead of letting others dominate the conversation. Be your funny, gracious, kind self and people will appreciate it and connect with you. P.S. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Katie Bashista

#DearYoungerMe. RELAX. Stop worrying so much about what everyone thinks of you and remember to stay true to your passions no matter what anyone says. Don’t let anyone make you feel ashamed about what you care about. Remember that being nice to everyone doesn’t mean that you’re weak but also remember to stand your ground when necessary. Stay determined and stay ambitious. Cherish all of the time you get to spend with your family, especially family dinners. Be good to everyone because it will pay off in the end.

Simren Bhatt

#DearYoungerMe…I know what you’re thinking right now: you cannot wait to grow up. Well, let me stop you right there. Being an adult is not everything it is cut out to be. We have obligations and responsibilities that far outweigh the fun of going to college and being 21. So embrace your youth while you can. Live without a care in the world. Make mistakes and learn from them. Do not be afraid of any opportunity that comes your way. You will amaze yourself with your abilities. You are so capable of conquering the world. Trust me, I know. Believe in yourself the way that I believe in you, and you will be able to do anything you set your mind to.

Katlyn Pierre

#DearYoungerMe You’re good enough. It’s as simple as that. No matter what others may say about you, always remember who you really are: a smart, compassionate, Kit Kat lover that’s perfect the way she is. I know you see all those girls who dress and act a certain way, but don’t think that you have to be like that too. As long as you’re doing your best and staying true to who you are, you’re perfect. Trust me.

The conversation doesn’t stop today with this article. Be sure to continue this conversation with your younger sister, little cousin and even yourself. To learn more about International Girls Day, visit the Confidence Coalition’s website: http://confidencecoalition.org/internationalgirlsday

Katlyn Pierre is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is working for a degree in public relations. She has recently become a Publicist for Her Campus VCU in January of this year. Her aspirations include, but are not limited to, becoming the Olivia Pope of the cosmetics industry. She is fascinated by the millions of makeup trends on Youtube, PR disasters and Shonda Rhimes. When Katlyn decides to be a hermit on one of her days off, you can find her singing along to Moulin Rouge!
LeeAnn Dancy is a freshman majoring in Creative Advertising. She love traveling, dogs, and anything sitcom related. She is low-key obsessed with most obscure British bands, and has seen the Avengers so many times that she can say the lines along to it. The most important thing in LeeAnn's life will always be her Australian Shepherd-Mutt, Moxie.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!