Dear Recording Academy: Fall Out Boy Deserves A Grammy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If I had to pinpoint one artist that truly changed my life, I would say Fall Out Boy in a heartbeat. I found them in 2015 after the release of American Beauty/American Psycho and almost eight years later and seeing them in concert three times, nothing has changed with my love and loyalty towards them. When Fall Out Boy released the teaser for Love From the Other Side and the announcement of their new album So Much (for) Stardust), I spent hours crying and listening to my Fall Out Boy vinyls on loop. 

So Much (for) Stardust is one of the best music releases of 2023 and that is a fact (source: me). Fall Out Boy returned to record label Fueled by Ramen to release the album, which they haven’t done since the release of their first full album Take This to Your Grave in 2003. They also tapped producer Neal Avron who they haven’t worked with since their 2008 release Folie à Deux. Seeing Fall Out Boy go back to their pre-2012 hiatus ways generated a lot of buzz over the sound of their new album amongst fans. Was this going to be another iconic album that mimics the feel of old Fall Out Boy with their 2007 album Infinity on High? Or was this album going to go deeper into pop/EDM disappointment like Mania (no shade to her)? 

When So Much (for) Stardust was released in March 2023, it changed lives. They exceeded all expectations from fans and music critics. Lead singer Patrick Stump describes the album’s style as “what would it have sounded like if we had made a record right after ‘Folie à Deux’ [Fall Out Boy’s divisive 2009 album] instead of taking a break for a few years” in his interview with NME when they announced the album release back in January. They not only went back to their pop-punk origins, but included disco and soul influences for added flavor. With the return of a heavy-guitar sound, the album cemented itself as another iconic album within Fall Out Boy’s discography. So Much (for) Stardust is seen as the bridge between the two eras of Fall Out Boy and is loved by pre-hiatus and post-hiatus fans alike. This was clear when So Much (for) Stardust hit #6 on the Billboard Hot 200

Now I admit that I am no music expert, especially one to compete with the Recording Academy, but I am a music enthusiast just like the rest of Gen Z. Along with a lot of my Gen Z people, I stopped watching the Grammy nomination ceremonies because to be quite honest, I am tired of being disappointed with the lack of recognition that my favorite artists get or if they do, they get used for views for the award show (BTS, get behind me). I held out some hope when Fall Out Boy’s “For Your Consideration” banner for the 2024 Grammys were released. They deserved a spot in the Best Rock Album, Best Rock Song and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance categories. Song Of The Year and Record Of The Year are tough categories but I thought that they had a solid chance to snag a spot.

Was I surprised that they weren’t nominated for anything? A little. Was I disappointed? I would be lying if I said no. I already have beef with the Recording Academy because as a die-hard ARMY, I am tired of them paying dust to BTS and using them for views for the televised award show. After Fall Out Boy received nominations in 2006 and 2016 for Best New Artist and Best Rock Album, respectively, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to think they would have received at least a little recognition for So Much (for) Stardust. The Recording Academy does not appreciate the work of art that So Much (for) Stardust is and Fall Out Boy as a veteran artist. Their impact is sort of a quiet legacy because while they do have many albums and songs that have had great success, they have also influenced many other great artists in the music world (The Queen herself, Taylor Swift, for example). 

With all Grammy slander aside, I am proud to say that I am a fan of a group that does not care about award nominations or album sales because at the end of the day, Fall Out Boy cares about their own craft and their fans. This is easily seen by the quality of their music and how much of their hearts, souls and minds is poured into their song lyrics. 

Dear Recording Academy: Nominate Fall Out Boy in the categories they deserve recognition in. Or don’t. It doesn’t matter because the Grammys are falling off anyways.

Arba Choudhury is currently a senior at VCU, majoring in Fashion Design. In addition to being a writer for HerCampus at VCU, she is also the Social Media Director and runs the Instagram for the chapter. Choudhury loves watching YouTube videos, browsing on Pinterest, and hanging out with her friends in her free time. She loves reading about style and beauty while also keeping up with pop culture and current events.