Style

Crafts That Everyone Can Do for Cute Room Décor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Getting room décor for your dorm room or your new place at college is not only fun to do, but it can also be an opportunity to make something new! Let’s be real, room décor at stores can sometimes get pretty expensive. Buying materials and making your own can save you money and allows you to personalize anything. Design your room to have a color scheme and from there you can make as many crafts as you can to make your new place homey.

Even if you’re not the best artist, as long as you have some patience or a bit of free time, crafting is straightforward and everyone can participate. Whether you just want a relaxing activity or you’re looking for something fun to do with your friends that’s cheap, here are some great crafts that are low budget and can be used as a cute decoration in your room!

1. Printed Photos

Besides posting on your Instagram or Facebook account, an easy and simple “craft” can be posting pictures on your wall to give your room a homey vibe! Cute or silly pictures of your friends can bring your room together and also give you space to arrange the pictures as you please. Making shapes with the photos or arranging them to look displayed is simple and if you want to take it a step further you can frame them or hang them with lights or cute wooden clothes pin clips. You can even arrange them on boards or off bars depending on what fits your style!

2. Wooden Boards and Painted Canvases

Painting is one of the most relaxing craft ideas. You can paint anything a solid color or you can make a piece colorful and as intricate as you want. If you’re into quotes or pieces with simple scenery on them, several small canvases that have the same theme can be a great addition to your room! Painting or adding flowers to wooden letters is another simple idea that can be done in one sitting! The best part about painting canvases or wooden pieces is you could do it by yourself or invite friends over to join in on the fun!

3. Storage Crafts With Painted Mason Jars

There are so many storage crafts that are adorable whether you want to paint jars or small boxes, or leave them plain and attach them to a backboard. Placing bathroom essentials or office supplies in jars are an easy way to stay organized and make for a relaxing and cheap activity! Jars can be painted as simple solid colors or with intricate designs based on the style of your room.

However you choose to add your own style in your crafts to fit your room, remember just to have fun with the relaxation time you have! Put your creativity to the test or if you’re having trouble, Pinterest is always there to help you!

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3

Nat is a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and Homeland Security at Virginia Commonwealth University who treats every opportunity as a new chapter. All her chapters are filled with music, travels, Pinterest, and pics of friends laughing so hard they snort. She loves meeting new people and hearing new stories because she believes everyone has one. She aspires to influence those around her as well as just making people smile.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!