This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you told me a few years ago that I would be staying up late at night on my Nintendo Switch, I’d say you were liar. I’ve never been much of a gamer — I find myself intimidated by combat and frightened by bosses that showcase my complex lack of hand-eye coordination. I’d get embarrassed when I play multiplayer games because of my overwhelming lack of skill and motivation. I’d never be caught playing Elder Ring or Smash if I could help it. 

Earlier this year, I stumbled upon the genre of ‘cozy gaming’ which I had never realized existed prior to it coming up on my Youtube Homescreen. Cozy gaming focuses on players feeling relaxed and peaceful while playing games. Where I hated combat and boss fights, here were a whole plethora of games that lacked that element altogether while still making enticing content. 

It’s refreshing to not feel rushed or pressured like most other traditional games. I’ve found that inside the genre of cozy gaming, there is also multiple other categories to choose form. There are farming sims, RPGs, adventure games, and so much more to discover.

Most people discovered cozy gaming through the likes of Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley, but I had discovered it through a few different Youtubers such as Eeowna who focus on providing information about cozy game and new releases. They provide great videos on how to get started and what games are the best and worst with quick reviews. 

After splurging about half my bank account, I purchased a few games to get started on my cozy gaming journey. There are a wide range of selections from a few dollars to the full Nintendo price of $60 or $70, so it all depends on your budget. You can read about my favorite cozy games here, so I won’t bore you with the specifics! Just know that that is a great place to get started if you prefer a more relaxed gaming vibe!

From the moment I did my first playthrough of Pokémon Snap, I was hooked on the idea of gaming without a real purpose. Instead of pushing myself to be better, I wanted to just to enjoy the mechanics and storylines of the games itself without worrying too much about ‘beating the game’ or figuring out all the intense details. It became more about how to enjoy my free time and wanting to focus on my own relaxation. 

For those of you who are on the opposite side of the spectrum and enjoy a little combat but also want a cozy gaming experience, Cult of the Lamb is also a great middle-of-the-road option that includes dungeons and combat but also farming sim and caretaker elements. 

I truly believe that there is a game out there for everyone. From the simplest games to please younger audiences, to complex hyperrealistic open-world RPGs, there is so much to choose from. It can be overwhelming at first, but hopefully, the resources laid out in this article will help you determine if you’re interested in cozy games!

Courtney Te is a Graphic Design major and a Psychology minor at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is passionate about animals, writing and graphic design.