Cosplaying at Conventions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Who the hell doesn’t enjoy dressing up for Halloween or for a masquerade ball?  Cosplayers take dressing up as their favorite characters to a whole new level. Originating from Japan, costume play is a popular type of performance and visual art. Fans of popular anime, sci-fi, fantasy, Disney and cartoon shows dress up as their beloved heroines and heroes (and non-gendered characters).  Most people tend to cosplay when a convention is about to start. Some of the more popular and huge events, like San Diego Comic-Con International or New York Comic Con, draw crowds as big as 130,000! That is a lot of nerd-power. Numerous companies and businesses flock to these conventions in order to promote art, clothing apparel, movies, television shows and much more. These conventions draw in a diverse range of people, so marketers and advertisers are taking note and making sure that if a huge con is setting up shop right near them, they are renting out a booth or space.

Cosplay is a hobby to many; something to dabble in when drunk or to enjoy a huge event with friends. It can also be a way to hone your craftsmanship and skill as a prop maker, actor/actress, or seamstress. It’s steadily becoming even more popular, culminating in professional cosplayers popping up, such as Yaya Han and Jessica Nigri.  Conventions invite these highly skilled creators to their events, and fans of these professionals will surely follow. Many of these cosplayers have doors opened to them in fashion, television, gaming and advertising industries. Jessica Nigri, for instance, was hired by Ubisoft to appear as Captain Edward Kenway from the popular video game Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. The cosplay community is gaining more and more attention, and with people like Nigri with so many fans, it’s bound to even get more popular.  I’m attending Otakon 2014 this year as a member of the press, so check back soon for an inside look on what’s it like to cosplay at one of the biggest anime conventions in the country!

Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.