The Concussion Theory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The Concussion Theory released their new self-titled album this week, and they’re excited about it.

VCU students Burke Solo, Nate Teikari and Ian Ferguson make up the trio as bassist and singer, guitarist and singer, and drummer respectively. The album was something they dreamed up and recorded in just four days after the fall 2013 semester.

“We really like our music,” said Solo. “And because we like it I’m sure some people will find something in it. We’re very honest on this next record…we just write about things that are relatable because that’s all we know.”

Although the band has been around for a few years now, this album is the band’s first production with just these three members. Solo stepped in to finish up their first EP ‘Stuck at Sea’ and now the band is on the rise.

“I don’t think any of us want to put out the same record twice,” Ferguson said. “We want it to be different every time we put it out.”

The album is about relationships — romantic, platonic, even a friend passing away.

“The way we write has changed drastically even within four months since we wrote those last songs,” Teikari chimed in.

They described it as more melodically-driven and mature than their earlier sound.

“Whenever we jam to something, immediately after we finish we’ll do it again to solidify it and make sure we have a solid idea,” said Ferguson.

The band has played at various venues around Richmond like the Canal Club.

“Like a monster, Ian kicks through his bass drum,” Solo said, summarizing a story from that night. The drummer of another band, Pentimento was nice enough to let them borrow his.

However, the guys actually prefer to play house shows. And they’re looking to play more.

“When you play house shows, people are there to hear music,” Teikari said. “They’re there to have a good time and find new bands to listen to. The atmosphere is different…a lot more relaxed, a lot more fun.”

He recalled the time the band did an impromptu cover of Jimmy Eat World’s ‘The Middle.’

“We had not rehearsed it,” he said. “We were like, ‘Do we all know The Middle? I think so.’ Not to toot my own horn or anything but on a whim I nailed it.”

The guys have a lot of fun together. They’ll all be roommates soon.

But in the meantime, the band is going on a short tour this summer planning to travel from New Jersey to Jacksonville, Fl. and back in around 10 days. They’re also putting out a music video this summer.

So what’s next for The Concussion Theory?

“After tour we’re going to play more shows and we’re going to write another record,” said Solo. “We’ve been playing on some new tunes that are really cool that we want to get out there, but we’re growing.”

We’ll definitely be hearing more from the band soon so stay tuned, folks. 

“We’re a bunch of handsome dudes and we care about you,” said Teikari.

And hey, he’s right.

Buy (and stream) The Concussion Theory’s new album on Bandcamp

‘Like’ The Concussion Theory on Facebook

Follow The Concussion Theory on Twitter

Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.