The Collegiette’s Guide to GMOs, Pesticides, and Organic Produce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

What’s a GMO?

GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organisms, and it is defined as living things whose genes have been modified in a lab in order to create something that does not occur naturally. The most commonly heard of GMOs are edible plants (i.e, fruits and veggies) that have been genetically engineered specifically to survive herbicides and pesticides.

Why is this a thing?This is so farmers can produce a greater crop yield in order to stock up our shelves with more and more fruits and veggies. GMOs can also be animals who have been raised to grow bigger and faster, like fish and cows. The more they can grow, the more they can sell.

What does “organic” mean exactly? And why is it more expensive at the grocery store?

Anything from apples and macaroni and cheese to bedsheets and laundry detergent can be organic.  If a food item/product is labeled as “organic”, it means it’s passed a series of standards that are related to health and environmental impact. Some examples of the standards to be labeled organic are: no use of GMOs, must use crop-rotation to protect soil and ward off pests, animals must have access to the outdoors and they must preserve natural resources and local biodiversity. Upholding these standards can be time consuming and expensive, but many believe it is worth the investment. Organic supply is also limited and may not be in able to churn out as many resources as conventional farms due to these standards. Also, the higher price accounts for the higher standards of care for farm animal facilities.

Should I be worried?

How you feel and what action you take is up to you. Some people believe that you should “vote with your money” by paying the extra amount for organic products in efforts to demand a better world. It’s also common to feel iffy about ingesting chemicals that you don’t know much about. There is a lot of suspicion that these could be a cause of cancer and other diseases. The effect of pesticides on health has been discussed for years. Others believe that there is no need to cough up the extra cash, as there is no evidence that organic produce is nutritionally superior to conventional foods.

There is a lot of information thrown at us. Grocery shopping is more overwhelming these days than it was 10 years ago. We are bombarded with information and it may help to know the facts first, understand how to interpret sources, and make a decision that’s best for your body, your beliefs and your budget!

Katie is a 21 year old Psychology major at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her legal name is Katherine, but only her mother can call her that when she's in trouble. She loves coffee, lipstick, science, leggings, and people who properly cite their sources.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!