Cleaning Your Space to Clear Your Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Let me tell you, I like my space to be clean, but I also make my room messy in half a second after I clean it. 

For me, cleaning can sometimes be a challenge. I usually get too distracted and end up on my laptop half way through the cleaning. Today, I will be giving you tips on how and why you should kick-start your spring-cleaning and why you should “spring clean” year round. 

Wellness is usually thought of as mental or physical wellness, like taking an off day to relax your mind and body, or getting a massage to also relax your mind and body. Wellness is usually defined by doing something good for yourself to relax and rejuvenate. Many do not realize that cleaning your space and getting rid of excess possessions can also be a form of wellness. 

I try to clean my room once a week (or whenever it gets messy). Cleaning a space seems very tedious, but if you know what you are doing and focus all your attention on cleaning, you can knock it out in just under an hour. I like to begin by picking up any clothes on the floor and determining whether or not they are dirty. Then, I throw the dirty clothes in the washing machine and focus on the rest of my room. Here is a checklist from Pinterest that I like to use:

By using or making a checklist, I make sure I clean everything and I have a list to go to after I clean one spot so that I do not get distracted and stop cleaning. Cleaning your space can have a huge impact on your mood and can help you feel more relaxed. Do yourself a favor this spring and clean out your room and closet, donate what you do not need to Goodwill and keep your room clean to wake up and come home to a fresh, clean room everyday.

Photo credits: Cover photo, 2 by Audrey Ampomah , 3, 4

Meagan is a Junior at Virginia Commonwealth University obtaining a degree in bachelor of Science (B.S) with a concentration in Health Science. Meagan would describe herself as a free spirit whose goal in life is to be happy. She is interested in natural and organic beauty products and enjoys fashion and makeup. Although she does not label herself as vegan, she tries to eat mostly plant-based. Meagan's career goal is to be a health and wellness writer for a company. She will be graduation in the year 2020. Currently, Meagan is an active She enjoys all things natural beauty and sustainability. She was born and raised in Northern Virginia where she lived with her Mom, Dad, and older brother who attends Virginia Tech.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!