This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Picking out a costume is one of the most fun yet difficult aspects of celebrating Halloween. Everyone has this image in their mind of how they want to look on Halloween, but fulfilling the expectations you’ve set for yourself can be expensive. Some Halloween costumes can end up costing people $50 or more once they finish collecting all the items they need for the look, but not everyone has that much money to spend on a costume they’ll wear one night. Here are three inexpensive Halloween costume ideas that can still make you look amazing but won’t require you to break the bank!

Vampire

Vampire costumes are a Halloween staple. You can find them at almost any store that sells costumes, and you’re likely to see a good number of people dressed as a vampire throughout the month of October. However, most of the people that you see wearing vampire costumes did not spend a small amount of money on their costumes. In fact, they probably spent quite a bit buying their wig, cape, gown, vampire makeup and fangs. All of those things are not needed to dress as a vampire.

The only thing you truly need to purchase to dress as a vampire is teeth, which you can find at a Halloween store for under $10 or even at the dollar store for $1. Once you have the teeth, the rest you can do yourself. Instead of an elaborate vampire outfit, just dress in all black. Use makeup you or someone you know has lying around to make yourself look undead. If you have that foundation shade that was too light for your skin that you haven’t gotten a chance to throw away yet, use it to make your face look pale and ashen.

If you don’t have foundation, use gray eyeshadow instead to make your face look devoid of blood. Contour your cheeks to give yourself the sharp and animalistic look that vampires possess. Finish off the look with some dark eye makeup and some red lipstick that you can use both on your lips and to draw blood dripping from your mouth. Fake blood is also usually relatively inexpensive at costume shops and can be purchased for less than $10 if you would prefer to go for a more authentic blood look.

So for less than $20, or possibly even less than $10, you now have a full vampire costume that looks just as cool as the one’s stores will trick you into purchasing for $50. 

Zombie

The undead look is always in! A zombie costume can easily be very inexpensive to create as long as you’re resourceful. The only thing you will need to purchase is white or gray face paint and fake blood, which you could technically substitute with white or gray eyeshadow and red lipstick. Face paint and fake blood can both be purchased for under $10 at most locations. 

If you have any old clothes that you haven’t gotten a chance to give away, then grab them and tear them apart with a pair of scissors to create your zombie outfit. Use dark-colored makeup on your eyes and lips to make your features look dark, and use a white or gray colored face paint to make your face look like it is decayed and devoid of life.

Then use the fake blood you purchased or your red lipstick to splatter your clothing with the blood of your victims and smear some on your face as well. Ruse your hair up and make it look wild and unkempt, and if you’re really dedicated to your character, then walk around with your eyes wide and unfocused.  

Witch

A witch costume is another fairly simple costume to construct. All you really need for the costume is a witch hat, and if you want to get fancy, you can also purchase some green face and body paint as well. Do not purchase the witches’ hat from a Halloween costume store because the prices will be ridiculous!

Instead, purchase it from somewhere like Party City since their witches hat is only $3.99. If you’d like to, you can also purchase some green face and body paint, which will be less than $10 at most places. Slather the green paint all over yourself, throw on your hat, wear all black and grab the broom you use for sweeping, and you’ve got yourself an inexpensive witches costume!   

Hopefully, these costume ideas will help inspire you to create your own inexpensive Halloween costume to wear this Halloween! 

Britney Simmons is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University who is majoring in Mass Communications with a Concentration in Print/Online Journalism. She has loved reading and writing since she was a child, and is an animal lover. She loves to travel whenever possible, and you can usually find her binging some new series or napping.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!