Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan’s Divorce is Not the End of Happiness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When we think of power couples, Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan have been on top of our list since day 1. Everyone who has watched “Step Up” can remember that this couple was IT…until they weren’t. Last week, the couple announced their split, and it almost feels like this is the biggest uncuffing season of all. Does the end of Channing and Jenna define the fact that love is not real and we should all just give up now?

The answer is no. Love and happiness sometimes mean different things than the usual happily ever after. Sometimes it means having to be away from the one you truly love and care for because it is better for the two of you. The false portrayal of love in mainstream media is one of the reasons many individuals feel unsatisfied in their love lives. They feel like they owe a romance novel to one another, and if the spark isn’t off charts every second you spent with your significant other, well then you are doing something wrong. No movie ever shows the issues couples have adjusting to one another’s lifestyles once they have decided that they are meant forever; the movies don’t acknowledge that jobs and careers change and often these take priority over the significant others because we are not defined by our relationships. We are single happy self sufficient human beings first. Before anything else, we are our own complete beings and finding that other special someone should mean that two halves are now connect. 

So maybe the couple breaking up feels like the end of the world because if they can’t do it, who can? But this is the root of the issue, no two relationships are ever the same and comparing our lives to the gossip ridden glamorous life of celebrities will cause us all to get depressed. When the fact is that their amicable breakup should actually serve to help us. It teaches us that break-ups do not need to be this big dramatic end to a major chapter of your life but instead just a simple change of circumstances and lifestyle. 

Anupama Pathak is a Biomedical Engineering and a procastinating perfectionist who loves Harry Potter, painting, feminist literature, rock music and nerdy memes.