Blue Lotus Collective: Bringing the Music Scene Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s easy to get lost in Richmond’s constantly growing music scene. That’s why Will Nelson and Clifton Gibbons founded Blue Lotus Collective, formerly known as Elysian Fields, in 2012 – to create a community for musicians and music lovers alike.

“We started Blue Lotus because we knew a lot of musicians and we also knew a lot of people who liked to go out and enjoy live music, so we figured why not bring it all together?” said Nelson.

One of the collective’s consecutively successful events were the Coffeehouses which featured musicians, stand-up comedians and poets – kind of like an open mic night, except performers reserved their spots ahead of time. The event was held at Nelson’s home about once a month.

The collective also held shows every other Thursday night at “Emilio’s,” a Spanish-style restaurant located at 1847 W. Broad St. That started after the guys began reaching out to local venues in Richmond to find a place to hold live shows. Emilio’s agreed to give them a two week trial period and with a big enough turnout, allow shows regularly. Blue Lotus Collective had a seven-month residency at Emilio’s, with a show every other Thursday night featuring bands and singer/songwriters from inside and outside of the collective. They eventually generated enough profit from shows to split earnings with the performers.

Nelson believes the collective’s time at Emilio’s has run its course. Although it was a useful opportunity for getting their name out and meeting musicians, it’s time to expand, said Nelson.

They are looking to do volunteer work, like providing music to support community causes. They also want to host fewer live shows, but put more effort into the ones they produce. The collective is taking a break until next semester to focus on other endeavors.

“So far we’ve already done the whole house show and venue thing, now we want to provide music for the community,” he said.

The collective recently started selling a pin with a blue lotus flower on it, designed by Alex Bannan and Matt Steele. The pins are sold at Beads and Rocks on West Broad Street and at Fan Guitar and Ukelele on West Main Street.

Blue Lotus Collective has grown to include 10 bands and eight singer/songwriters. Their final show at Emilio’s is October 17th and features local singer/songwriter Dane Ferguson and folk singer John Gold on tour from Florida.

“I think the thing we’re most proud of is uniting with other groups of musicians and kind of bringing them together,” said Nelson. “There were a lot of separate groups who were all into the same thing. Instead of individuals it just became a whole.”

Come out to Emilio’s this Thursday night to see what Blue Lotus Collective is all about – it’s FREE and during fall break, so you have no excuse!

Find out more about the event

“Like” Blue Lotus Collective on Facebook

Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.