stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Birthmark Myths: Cracked! (Sort of)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

We all have wondered at least once in our lives what the purpose is of the mysterious mark on our legs, back or cheek and why we were born with one (or two or three). Some people have them and others have only seen them on friends and family, wondering why they were born without such a mark. You might have heard that is where you were kissed by an angel, or that the mark has insight on how you passed away in a prior life. Or, you may have never given any thought to it and only considered it to be a blemish on your skin! Here I will explore some of the most popular myths that surround birth marks, so maybe we can have a better idea on why we were born with them (or not!).

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a birthmark as a “an unusual mark or blemish on the skin at birth.”

Christian Nordqvist writes in an article published in the online newsletter Medical News Today that birthmarks are “caused by the clustering of pigment cells.” Birthmarks, in a medical sense, seem to be random pigmentation on the skin that develop after birth. He also states that “a significant proportion of newborns have a birthmark.” Another source states that they occur in 4 out of 5 babies. A random product of genetic variation or not, the purpose of birthmarks is still curious since they seem to have no purpose other than being a conversation piece or a source of insecurity. Experts have found birthmarks to not be hereditary, and yet they continue pop up on newborns every single day.

“Birthmarks used to be called “voglie” in Italian, “antojos” in Spanish and “wiham” in Arabic – meaning “wishes” or “whims.”

In Iranian folklore, “It is said that a birthmark appears when the pregnant mother touches a part of her body during a solar eclipse.” They have also been referred to as angel kisses or stork bites, in an effort to diminish any negative connotations that have been associated with the blemish. Some people also believe that birthmarks can be related to the character of a child. The SkinCareGuide indicates “travel…by a birthmark on the right foot and intelligence by one on the left foot,” so this could point to why you love to travel or read lots of books! It has also been said to be a lucky omen, such as a birthmark shaped like a four leaf clover or rabbit’s foot.

“Some believe that if your mother ignores a craving during pregnancy, you’ll be born with a birthmark in the shape of the food she craved.

Not all birthmark myths have favorable origins. Some believe that birthmarks are formed from a mother not fulfilling a craving, and then scratching herself. If she was craving coffee or wine and neglected to indulge, her child would be born with a birthmark reflecting a coffee or wine stain (café au lait spot or port wine stain: two of the eight most recognized birthmarks). There was a professor of psychology that conducted a study with children around age two who were making comments in reference to a previous life, and he found that many of their statements correlated with birthmarks or physical deformities they had such as “a birthmark corresponded to the entry and exit wounds of bullets in the remembered personality.” Birthmarks have also been tied to being a witches streak or a mark of the devil.

All in all

Nobody knows what causes our birthmarks, but like anything else on our skin, it is just another part of what makes us unique and we should love them as we would every other characteristic!

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3

Jillian Shank is a Senior at Virginia Commonwealth University and this is her second semester on the Editorial Team for Her Campus. She enjoys writing poetry and teaching her cat, Milo, tricks! 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!