This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Billie Eilish’s catapult to success has been absolutely legendary and as a fan from the beginning, I am thrilled to see how well she has done in the past year. Her unique image and iconic voice have landed her a position in the spotlight. At only 17, the vegan singer has a sold-out tour and a chart-topping new album. 

Before the lights and custom Louis Vuitton boot, Billie was a homeschooled teen in Highland Park, Los Angeles. At eight, she joined the LA Children’s chorus, an impressive step for the young musician’s early career. Her family, actors and musicians, encouraged her to begin writing her own songs by age 11. Eilish’s brother, Finneas O’Connell, remains her co-writer and co-producer, the two often taking the stage together. Her debut single, “Ocean Eyes,” released in 2016 on SoundCloud, was originally written in 2015 for Finneas’ band. The song was sent to Billie’s dance teacher who helped in choreographing a routine for the young artist. Just after this in 2016, she released “Six Feet Under,” in 2016. 

The following year, Billie released her debut album, “Don’t Smile At Me,” in August of 2017 with nine singles. Shortly after, she was named Apple’s Up Next artist in September of the same year. I remember her being the hot new artist people bragged that they listened to before anyone else. I could sense the artist gaining traction and was only even more delighted to see my friends plug into the young star. Her unique style became a hot topic of conversation, her refusal to conform to fashion trends and societal suggestion further concretes her whole vibe of coolness. 

The next year, 2018, became a smashing year for the upcoming artist, her rise to success could be accredited to this year in my opinion. Her “Where’s My Mind” Tour began in February of 2018, starting her year off strongly. Just after, she released “lovely” with artist Khalid, which was featured in Netflix show “13 Reasons Why.” Hit songs “you should see me in a crown” and “when the party’s over” were released and became instant hits, leaking into radio sets and retail stores. Billie’s sold out “1 by 1” tour ended her spark to stardom, concluding in November of 2018.

Eilish’s most recent release, “When We All Fall Asleep,” “Where Do We Go,” has 14 singles, including “bury a friend” and recent hit “bad guy.” I am obsessed with her signature vibe and voice, which blurs her age and defies societal norms. I’m inspired by her boldness and creativity and it is then that keeps her fresh and on top in the music game, always having another card up her musical sleeve. I look forward to seeing her future success and seeing her do big things in the music world. 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Bekah is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University, majoring in English with minors in Political Science, Philosophy and Creative Writing. She enjoys the ever-changing world of fashion and modeling, diving into those interests on her blog (cvltvre.us). Her passion for hockey juxtaposes her femininity as she is a die-hard Caps fan. Find her on Instagram (@bekkkkkssss) and Twitter (@bekahacarlson).
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!