Best Foods to Keep in Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

One of the worst parts about freshman dorms is the fact that you do not have a kitchen and you have to rely on your dining plan. It is always good to keep some food in your dorm for those nights that it’s pouring rain outside or you have a big assignment due that night.

Ramen

Let’s be serious, the shrimp and beef are the best flavors.

Instant Macaroni and Cheese

It may not be your mom’s mac and cheese, but it’s better than the dining hall.

Instant Oatmeal

For those mornings you want to be healthy and actually have time to make food.

Cheese

Everything’s better with cheese.

Fruit Cups

This is a good alternative to fresh fruit, which can attract fruit flies and even rot if you do not eat it fast enough.

Pudding Cups

Pudding cups are a great alternative to ice cream which, trust me, will never stay completely frozen in a mini fridge’s freezer.

Granola Bars

These are great for when you are running late in the morning but are still starving.

Fig Newtons

These can go into your backpack as a healthy snack, and they still taste good if they get smushed.

Microwave Meals

This is the closest thing you will get to a home-cooked meal in the dorms. I recommend the pasta meals that Barilla makes.

Dorms can be difficult. Don’t let your food supply let you down, too.

Photo Credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!