This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

On Feb. 27, thousands packed into the Arthur Ashe Junior Athletic Center to hear Sen. Bernie Sanders rally his constituents. 

“The reason we are going to defeat Trump is because the American people do not like frauds,” said Sanders at the beginning of the event. 

Before the event, lines of people stretched from the front doors to the sidewalk outside of the venue. After the event started, many supporters had to be turned away because the center had already exceeded carrying capacity. Children wearing noise-canceling headphones were seen running around the auditorium while their parents listened to Sander’s speech. One mother, Nicole Davids, said she brought her children to the event because the policies that Sanders discussed directly affected her children. Sanders’ stance on Medicare for all was a policy that interested Davids. 

“My daughter is deaf, so I stayed home for two years to take care of her, and we have Medicaid… Medicaid is amazing,” said Davids. “My daughter has a cochlear implant she received for free with Medicaid. I’ve gotten a glimpse of what it’s like to not have it.”

On Sanders’ campaign website, his policy for Medicare for all states, “Create a Medicare for All, single-payer, national health insurance program to provide everyone in America with comprehensive health care coverage, free at the point of service. No networks, no premiums, no deductibles, no copays, no surprise bills.”

Unsplash

Many college students attended the event and could be seen representing various colleges around Virginia. Ella Carrol was another supporter that attended Sanders’ rally. Carrol said that as a senior in high school who is about to attend college, she agrees with Sanders’ policy that college should be free. Sanders’ college for all policy states that he would guarantee tuition and create debt-free public universities while canceling student loan debt for 45 million Americans. Sanders also promises to place a cap on student loan interest rates at 1.88 percent. 

“Young people are going to play a profound role in this election than any election in history,” said Sanders during his speech.

Adrian Cardenas, a supporter of Sanders, said, “I’m just a big supporter. Even though I’m not able to vote, I still think he is the best candidate.”

The event was originally going to be held at The National Theater, but RSVPs to the event exceeded the theaters holding capacity.

After Super Tuesday, held on Mar. 3 for the Democratic nomination, Sanders won California, Colorado, Utah and Vermont. Former Vice President Joe Biden won Alabama, Arkansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. For the Republican nomination, President Donald Trump won Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Vermont. 

Super Tuesday is a presidential primary election day in which a majority of U.S. states hold primary elections and caucuses. Primary elections are a way voters can show their preference for a candidate that would represent their party.

Sarah is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University and is majoring in Mass Communications and minoring in Fashion Merchandising. Sarah enjoys reading, writing, and discussing sustainable fashion brands. Sarah spends most of her time, and money, on Depop fueling her shopping addiction. Follow her on instagram @Sarah_parker9 and Twitter @_parker_9
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!