Beautiful Women and Good Food at Her Campus VCU’s Semiformal Potluck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you rewind to a few months ago, Her Campus VCU was only a brain-child of the Vice President Mymy Dinh and President Chelsea Kubo. The founders gathered their ideas to recruit members, establish the online magazine as an official organization, and publish articles to appeal to the student body here at the university. Now halfway into the semester, Her Campus VCU is a thriving source of everything a collegiette needs to know at VCU!

Not afraid to have fun, Her Campus VCU‘s staff took time to relax with
friends and special guests at our semi-formal potluck on November 12, 2011. The potluck itself was held at a member’s apartment. The apartment was decorated to the nines with simplistic artwork and perfect lighting. Only members along with special guests were allowed to attend. The atmosphere was posh and classy with a fun college remix that accurately represented the staff of
Her Campus VCU – classy, smart, young, and fun! To set the mood, electronic tunes streamed in the background with Avicci frequently occupying the stereo.

By 8:30, the event was in full swing. The girls were dressed in their finest heels, winter boots, and cocktail attire. The girls and guys were nothing less than dressed to impress.

One of our special guests, Bryan Woodland – the Creative Director of RVA Magazine – stopped by to discus how to grow in the professional world of publications. One of VCU’s very own celebrities, Erik Fox, also stopped by. Only a sophomore, Erik has developed quite a name as a photographer and founder of the blog Dope On Plastic. His charm, style and easy on the eyes appearance also made his presence at the potluck one to honor.

My favorite portion of the event was being able to bond with the Her Campus VCU staff outside of the normal stress of school and all of the responsibilities that comes along with being a full time college student. When you are able to get to know the people you are “working” with on a deeper level, it makes writing for the magazine even more meaningful. Everyone was able to relax in a nice atmosphere with great food and chill music. It was amazing to see how far the magazine has developed this semester.

Her Campus VCU’s President and Vice President presented a welcoming speech that reminded us all why we love working with them. They represent  how to be professional, yet fun and poised all at once. It’s a tall order but they pull it off effortlessly.  Throughout the night we all mingled, ate, and posed for pictures together.  It was a much-needed night for all of us to de-stress and enjoy each other’s company. I personally look forward for the next one! 

Photos courtesy of Ashley Crist Photography

RVA Magazine: http://rvamag.com/
Erik Fox’s Dope On Plastic: http://www.dopeonplastic.org/

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo