Bad A$$ Women on Television

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.
Being able to find a wide range of diverse and strong female characters can be a bit tricky.  I believe that being exposed to numerous different types of women, whether they play a role of a villain or a hero, is extremely important for our understanding that there is not just a single mold for a lead or supporting character with cruel or valiant qualities.  The following women stand out not just as amazing, 3-dimensional characters, but as brilliant actresses. 

Gina Torres
“I walk into a room, and for this industry, I’m impossibly tall. When they find it hard to pair you up with the opposite sex, then what’s left for a woman? Either you’re the ball-buster or the not-so-attractive girlfriend standing by the lead. I mean, traditionally not so attractive. Because you have your starlets and then you have their best friends who are these character actresses. When you fall within the cracks, you thank God for sci-fi, because they’ll give you a gun, and they’ll say, ‘Go over there and conquer that world. You kick some ass, girl!'”-Gina Torres

Does anyone really need an explanation on why Gina Torres is a bad ass?  She flew through space as a no-nonsense, Mare’s Leg-carrying, second-in-command on Firefly, counseled obese yet touchingly thoughtful teenagers while dealing with her own insecurities as the awkward camp director on Huge, and is currently kicking ass and taking names as co-leading partner at her law firm on the hit television show Suits.  Gina Torres has a presence once she steps onto the screen.  She embodies power, grace, intelligence, and beauty. She delivers every performance with this immersing authenticity and fearlessness.  She sure as hell isn’t afraid to be a female in a male dominated industry, and doesn’t hide her femininity to assert her power.  Screw anyone that can’t handle her raw brilliance.

Lucy Liu
“You have to look out for becoming trapped in a place where people want to see you all the time doing one thing.”-Lucy Liu

Lucy Liu has worked with Quentin Tarantino, solved crimes with Sherlock Holmes (Elementary), and lent her voice to the Kung Fu Panda films.  Elegance and strength oozes from this woman as she walks in front of rolling cameras.  She can take on all sorts of roles that would require her to be humorous, evil, sad, or just downright loopy (in a sexy way, check out Watching the Detectives with Cillian Murphy).  She is a mix of witty, logical advisor and severe, serious femme fatale and I adore her for it.

Emilia Clarke

“My life is unrecognisable compared to what it was – ‘Game of Thrones’ has opened doors that were never there before. But it can be dangerous to see it in those terms, I think. It’s best to take it as it comes and work as hard as you can, and hopefully the other things fall into place.”-Emilia Clarke

KHALEESI!!!! That’s what many Game of Thrones fans know Emilia Clarke by.  This seemingly indestructible Queen is gaining ground and loyal citizens on the hit HBO show, but she seems to be known for her likeable and charming personality.  Her character evolved from a scared, meek little girl to a fearless, bright, dominating leader.  Emilia Clarke is able to brilliantly portray all of these stages so well, that one really can’t help but relate to her character’s vulnerable moments and cheer for her victorious ones.   Ms. Clarke is still building up her “filmography” but she is no stranger to the world of cartoon animation, as seen by her role in a Futurama episode, or the world of Broadway where she portrayed Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Lara Pulver
“Everything I said-it’s not real. I was just playing the game.”-Irene Adler, Sherlock

Not many people can outwit the great Sherlock Holmes.  Only a select few have in the original stories, including the notorious Irene Adler.  In one of the most recent screen adaptions, Sherlock, Irene is a bright and seductive dominatrix when she runs into Sherlock.  Lara Pulver stunned me when I first watched her on Sherlock.  She portrayed Adler with so much sex appeal that I was happy to see it didn’t make her into a one-dimensional character. She came off not only as fascinating and intelligent, but complex and vulnerable.  Pulver was on the BBC show Spooks and the HBO show True Blood.

Natalie Dormer
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.” –George R.R. Martin, Game of Thrones

Playing the game in a world dominated by men when you’re the image of “purity and charity” can be difficult, but Natalie Dormer makes it look easy as Highgarden’s high born Lady.  She is determined to become THE Queen and won’t stop just because a couple of people have died and others are planning to take her down.  Natalie Dormer is one of my favorite actresses that I’ve recently discovered and I can’t wait to see her return as Margaery Tyrell.  Dormer is cutthroat and stunning in her roles.  She was on Showtime’s The Tudors and also had a stint on Elementary as Irene Adler.

Janel Parrish
“Just because I’m not A, doesn’t mean I can’t recon your asses when I need to.”-Mona Vanderwaal, Pretty Little Liars

Okay, so Parrish played a kind of ruthless, cruel genius who tortured the main characters of PLL at first.  But I have to admit that Mona has grown on me.  Parrish delivers Mona as an insanely smart and cold character with a messed up morality compass but with a sensitive and sad side that sometimes makes you really feel for her.  I started to love Parrish’s portrayal of Mona on the current fourth season of Pretty Little Liars. I can’t wait to see more of her.  She was on Heroes and recently appeared on Hawaii Five-0.

Emily VanCamp
“They say vengeance is a dish best served cold. But sometimes, it’s as warm as a bowl of soup.”Episode 1, Season 1 of ABC’s Revenge.  This was said in a voice-over right after the main character, Emily Thorne, poisons a man with a bowl of soup.

No one can argue that Emily VanCamp’s character Emily Thorne is a woman who is best left not messed with.  Her character is always one step ahead in her quest for revenge.  She is aided with her impeccable planning, honed martial arts abilities, above-average linguistic skills, intelligent and calculating mind, and a seemingly endless supply of money.  Those who know VanCamp have seen her on Everwood, and I must say that she certainly has a wide spectrum of acting ability.  She was in the show Brothers & Sisters and will star in the upcoming Captain America: Winter Soldier film.  I hope you all take a look into Ms. VanCamp’s body of work.

*Credit goes to the following
wikipedia.org
Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.