This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Coming back to campus is such an exciting time. Seeing your friends, living on your own and getting into a real routine is so refreshing. In fact, I spent my entire summer longing for this and begging to come back to school. However lately, sometimes it feels like it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love being at school and seeing my friends, but I often forget how difficult it is to be on your own. If you are having a rough time getting back into your groove on campus, just know that you’re not alone. Adulting is hard.

I made a list of five things you can do to get out of that back-to-school funk.

Learn to say no

As I am sure you all know, there is so much pressure in college to go out and avoid that ever-looming presence of FOMO. But let me tell you, your life changes for the better when you learn to say no. There is nothing wrong with staying in for the night when you know you aren’t in the mood to go out. Sometimes a night in watching a movie alone is just what you need to recharge your social battery.

Remember, school isn’t everything

I know, I know. We are here to take classes, get those high grades and walk out of here with a degree. However, we are also here to gain experiences, make new friends and have some fun. Of course, schoolwork is a priority, but so is your mental well-being. Follow a good schedule when it comes to school so when it’s time to take that break, you earn it. Balance is everything.

Surround yourself with good people

Good friends are quite literally the key to a good college experience. In fact, my friends always help me to get out of these funks I find myself in every once in a while. Being away from your home and family can be difficult so it’s important to build those relationships here and find your own family. Friends can make the bad days a whole lot better.

Get into a routine

When you are having a rough time it’s super easy to stop caring about the little things in your day-to-day. If that’s you, I really recommend finding a schedule that works for you. Planning out meals, making sure your homework is done and having a workout regime are some ideas for your own routine. Just checking off those boxes throughout the day makes you feel a whole lot more productive and gives you a reason to get up in the morning.

Gain new experiences

It is so easy to get in a rut when it comes to being at school. Sometimes I feel like my life is school, work, sleep and that’s it. That’s why I’ve started forcing myself to change up my daily routine and do things I would not normally do. An easy way to do this is to join a club on campus. Joining club sports is something I always recommend because it is a fun way to meet new people and get a workout in. It is all about finding those little things to make your week better.

I hope you can take something from this list to make this transition a little easier. Just know all of us college kids feel this way from time to time. Being a grown-up is hard, so cut yourself some slack. 

Susan Culbreth is a first year Mass Communications student at Virginia Commonwealth University . Her passions include environmental justice and pop culture !