Career

Audition Tips For The Beginner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Are you feeling like a newborn lamb, with no idea what to do or how to be in an audition room? Well, glad I caught ya there!

Here are a few tips from me to you, that I’ve learned the hard way!

Don’t Do The Overdone

This sounds easier said than done, however, there are many articles that provide you with just that information titled “Top Songs to Avoid When Auditioning.” For monologues, it is a little hard to find which ones are overused, but if you look up the monologue and see multiple renditions of it, that’s definitely a sign to avoid using it.

Don’t Be The First to Shake Hands

You never really know who is a germaphobe, if they’re running late or if they just don’t like touching. Wait for their initiation of the handshake!

A Resume and A Headshot Are Always Recommended

Even if it’s never mentioned, it’s always a good idea to show up with a resume and headshot. The audition panel is going through multiple people a day for months on end, so they need a reference if they need to call you back. 

Always Be Ready for Change

Sure you can come all prepared, but sometimes they’ll want you to improvise or sing another song. So always have a backup plan, but also be ready to throw everything out the window and start anew.

Bring A Change of Clothes That You Can Move in

This goes hand in hand with the previous tip. You might not have time to go home and change if they decided to give you a movement or dance callback and you’re wearing something restricting.

Try to Dress Like The Part You Want

If you’re auditioning for something fantastical, I wouldn’t recommend fully committing to that with your outfit. Like maybe you’re auditioning the part of the witch, but don’t come dressed as a full-blown witch (but by all means, it is your choice). Perhaps come dressed with a long black skirt and a peasant top, or if it’s a modern witch: black ripped jeans, a flowy top and black military boots.

There’s No Need to “Prepare” Yourself When You’re About to Perform

I’ve done it. We all do it, but looking down to “prep” yourself for the monologue or song then looking up or whatever it is is an immediate alienation to your auditioners. Simply being the character, seeing who you’re supposed to be talking to is simple and perfect to get you in character. It shows that you’ve had a thought behind what you think about the character. Remember you aren’t “presenting” your audition on a piece of paper. You’re literally living a character for a hot minute.

Choose A Piece That Has Someone You’re Speaking To

Having someone in the piece that you’re essentially talking to just gives you a place to look and move all of that energy forward into the audience! Using a nostalgic “looking back on a memory” piece doesn’t do you or your talent justice. Whether it’s clear that there’s an “other” or not, you have to have someone you’re talking to. 

You Are Making an Impression From The Moment You Enter To The Moment You Leave

Literally from the moment you walk in, to the moment you walk out, the people you are auditioning for observe and see you. Essentially, don’t walk in looking shy or down on yourself, and don’t walk out looking like you feel bad for yourself or bored especially if you’ve had a sh*t audition. You should walk in confidently, be prepared to exchange some words: “Hi! How are you? Good! How about you? So good, I had a bagel this morning; so yummy.” Obviously, that’s pretty forced but just remember to respond to whatever they ask or say. Then if you absolutely tanked that audition, act like you’ve had the best audition. You walk out of there confident as f*uck, you boss ass b*tch.

Use a monologue that has action in it

There is this tendency to choose monologues that are nostalgic and very heady, and while that’s really fun to do, it does nothing for whoever is watching. To make that impression you have to have some sort of action that has energy and can be played out to someone rather than a memory you once had about someone. Having a monologue that has some sort of action forces movement, thought and reveals emotion. It gives you that range you can show to your auditioners. 

Now, get out there and show ‘em what you’re made of!

Tara Malaka is a current student-lady in her senior year. She's quite terrified. Approach carefully. Trying to achieve her BFA in Theatre Performance and minor in creative writing, Tara often finds herself dizzy and wandering campus wondering what her next assignment is.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!