This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Q: Where’s a good place for single commuter students to meet other single students?

Being a commuter student can make it hard to meet people and dating can be even harder, but don’t let the fact that you do not live on campus stop you from having the same college experience as those who do live on campus. Some great ways to meet a campus cutie are to strike up a conversation with a fellow classmate and suggest a study date. Pass all of your exams and get to know the cutie in your class. Another great way to meet someone is through a co-ed student organization that you have an interest in, this way you know you both already have something in common! Last but not least, the James Cabell Library could be a potential spot to grab a cup of coffee and great conversation!

Q: Finding/Making new friends still seems very hard. How do I meet new people and build friendships?

As a transfer student at VCU, I had some  trouble getting involved and feeling at home on campus. Starting a new year, at a new school as a junior was pretty daunting. Even though I knew a few people here, I knew I needed to find a new niche and meet new people. Although it was hard, I finally decided to put myself out there. I started going out, and trying to get involved on campus. There are a lot of different options when it comes to meeting new people and getting involved. VCU is a diverse school, so there are also diverse interests once you find a group that you click with, it’s guaranteed campus will feel more and more like home.

First, we would suggest reaching out to people in your dorm, or your neighbors. You never know who could be in the same boat! Join your hall council, or plan a movie night with people on your floor. Even if you don’t live in a dorm, introducing yourself to neighbors in your building and making plans with the people around you is a great way to network and put yourself out there. It can be uncomfortable at first, but most people are receptive! Some of my neighbors and hallmates have become lifelong friends, I wouldn’t have their friendship if I hadn’t stepped out of my comfort zone and introduced myself.

Our next piece of advice is to consider joining a sorority or fraternity. One of the best ways to meet new people is to join Greek life. There are different categories of greek life, including social, academic, multicultural, and professional. Social fraternities and sororities focus on giving back to the community and creating lasting friendships with people not only in your organization, but also people in other organizations. Social organizations focus on values, and finding others who share similar values, which is a great way to connect and make friendships. If academics is your focus, an academic fraternity may be for you. Academic fraternities have higher GPA requirements than all the other types of fraternities and sororities on campus, but they also push you to do your best in your classes and schoolwork. Most academic fraternities contain both males and females, so it’s a great way to make friends of both genders. Multicultural fraternities and sororities are great if you are looking to connect with your heritage and culture. A great way to connect with others in your major or others with similar career goals is to join a professional fraternity. These can be school or major specific, and it’s a great way to network with peers and also meet professionals in your field. No matter what organization you join, becoming a part of Greek life is a great way to meet other people with similar interests and goals.

Another option is to search for jobs and internships. VCU’s departments are usually very helpful and receptive when it comes to finding you an internship that fits with your interests. I found two great internships through my department (political science), and have met lots of people and made connections. In addition to my internships,  I found a job with great coworkers. You can’t beat making new friends, and helping your future career.
If you’d rather do something more recreational, you can always try out for a clubs sports team. There are excursions and trips with the Outdoor Adventure Program that are great ways to make friends. Nothing says friendship like being stranded in the wilderness together! There is a club sports team for almost any sport you can think of, and they also travel to other colleges in Virginia and play games or compete against schools like James Madison and Virginia Tech. If you’re interested in a particular sport, joining a club team is a great way to find others who like that sport too. If that isn’t your thing, there truly are organizations for every interest. I joined Her Campus and met great people, plus I’ve gotten the chance to do something I love. You can check out what organizations are on campus through the Campus Orgs here! If you want to go off campus, look for meetups in Richmond. It may sound weird, but there are kayaking meetups, painting meetups, new in town meetups, there’s even a beer lovers meetup. There’s a meetup for everything.
Our last piece of advice is that it never hurts to go out! Hit the parties! Go downtown! It can be fun to meet new people in a more relaxed and fun environment. Plus, being outside of a structured organization can make the awkwardness of talking to someone you don’t know, much easier. You could always invite an acquaintance to go with you, get to know them better, AND meet other people Or. just go alone (but stay safe)!! Some of my favorite spots are Postbellum, and Pie. If you haven’t checked out Carytown, see if anyone in your dorm or someone from one of your classes wants to go! There are tons of restaurants and an old theater that plays movies for only two dollars. If that’s not your taste, do a little research, you can probably find a spot that fits your personality (a spot that fits your personality usually means the people there will be like you too).
Honestly, our biggest piece of advice is to put yourself out there! It’s ok to go out, and hit the bars or parties to meet people. Joining new clubs, or introducing yourself to neighbors can feel awkward at times, but stepping out of your comfort zone can end up being one of the best things you’ll ever do. I definitely understand how such a big campus can make you feel lonely. Don’t worry, you are certainly not the only one. Taking the first step is the hardest part! You just need to find a group that makes you feel at home.

Want to hear what our Her Campus VCU girls have to say about your situation? Submit your questions anonymously here!

Allie is a junior at VCU who is studying Public Relations. Her favorite things in life are leggings, tea and dog videos. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!