This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters called them the “best opening band” they’ve ever had, but The Struts are destined for so much more than simply being an opening act. Hailing from Derby, England, The Struts are a four-piece glam-rock band that is bringing rock n’ roll back to modern music. Luke Spiller (vocals), Adam Slack (guitar), Jed Elliott (bass) and Gethin Davies (drums) deliver performances that could put even the most seasoned rock bands to shame.

With huge hooks and catchy choruses, The Struts create songs that you won’t be able to get out of your head. From their first radio hit “Could Have Been Me” to their most recent single “Fire,” off their soon to be released sophomore album “Young and Dangerous,” the Struts are delivering hit after hit and holding nothing back. There have only been four official single releases from the new album: “Body Talks” ft. Kesha, “Primadonna Like Me,” “Bulletproof Baby” and “Fire,” but a couple unreleased new songs have also made their way into The Struts’ current setlist. With songs ranging from anthemic hits like “Primadonna Like Me,” a song about small town guy who dreams of superstardom, to romantic ballads like “Somebody New,” a song about new romance that comes just a little too soon, “Young and Dangerous” promises to pack a powerful punch, with a song for every mood.

Before The Struts had even released their first album, they opened for Mötley Crüe, played to a crowd of 80,000 opening for the Rolling Stones and sold out many dates on their first headlining United States tour. Even with this early success, the band did not get much love in the United Kingdom. Things worked out well for the band regardless though, as the American music market welcomed them with open arms. The Struts have been getting consistent radio play here in the States, and they have been involved with major tours including Mötley Crüe’s Final Tour and the Foo Fighters’ Concrete and Gold Tour. The Struts are currently headlining their Body Talks tour, and “Young and Dangerous” is set to be released on Oct. 26, 2018.  

While their recordings are stellar, The Struts’ true magic lies in their live performances. Luke Spiller is a talented frontman that can have any audience in the palm of his hand by the end of the first song. The first time I saw The Struts, they were opening for Twenty One Pilots, and I had never heard of them before, but by the time Spiller announced who they were, I knew I had found my new favorite band. With a captivating stage presence reminiscent of Freddie Mercury and Mick Jagger, and costumes donning more sequins than any 80s rocker, Spiller immediately gets the crowd’s attention and doesn’t let go.

I have seen The Struts in concert ten times now, and they never get old. One of the highlights of every show is when Spiller splits the crowd in half and teaches each half different parts of the chorus, before having everyone join in. This crowd interaction is vital to Spiller’s ability to draw in crowds who have never even heard of them before, but at the rate they’re going, it won’t be long before everyone has heard of The Struts.

After attending both the Richmond and Carborro dates of the Body Talks tour, I can say without a doubt that this has been The Struts’ best tour to date. The guys start the show with their fast-paced singles, “Primadonna Like Me” and “Body Talks” and then they move into classics from their last album. In addition to the new songs, Spiller has also started playing piano on this tour, adding yet another element to their already exciting shows. In the very middle of their set, The Struts cover Bruce Springsteen’s “Dancing in the Dark,” and Spiller brings someone from the crowd onstage to be his Courtney Cox and recreate the original music video. After this amazing fan moment, Spiller makes another move to please fans, as the band plays “Mary Go Round,” a song that fans have been pleading for online and begging the band to add back to their setlist. After apparently finishing their set, the band comes back one last time to play two unreleased songs from the new album, and then finish off the night with their very first single, “Could Have Been Me.” The Struts are on a phenomenal run and “Young and Reckless” is sure to keep them moving forward!

You can find future Body Talks Tour dates here and preorder “Young and Dangerous” here.

All photos by author Garnette Ransone

Garnette Ransone is a Masters of Teaching student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all bad jokes, brunch and finding any excuse she can to wear glitter. You can usually find her at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts or travelling the East Coast to see her favorite bands.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!