Are You Really Ready to Go Blonde? Here’s How to Keep It Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Switching up your hair color is always a fun and fresh idea to do when you want to switch things up. I dyed and bleached my hair blonde a few months ago and here are some things that I wish I would have known before going blonde.

• Be aware of the cost! Keeping up with hair color especially blonde can be expensive.

• Blonde can be an expensive color to maintain simply because it tends to fade most of the time and if you are not a natural blonde you will need to get your roots touched up quite often.

• If you are looking to go ashe blonde you will need to get your roots and hair toned about every month to two months which can definitely add up.

• Blonde will show ALL of your split ends.

• A trim every two months at least is an absolute MUST especially when you have bleached your hair. With blonde you must not skip a trim or your hair will break off like straw.

• Along with the root touch ups, hair toning and trimming maintaining your color after salon visits is key to not wasting all of your money. Special products like toning shampoos and deep treatment masks come in handy when trying to hydrate, boost and maintain the color of your hair.

• Blonde is a huge commitment ! So be prepared for multiple visits to the salon to achieve your desired color. Depending on the color of your hair before it may take a couple visits to the salon to get your desired color.

• Do not attempt to bleach your hair on your own unless you are a professional, you will regret it. Professional hair stylists have access to treatments that we can’t get that are super beneficial to your hair after bleaching such as OLAPLEX, a treatment that restores the hair’s natural moisture which was stripped away by the bleach.

For people who have already gone blonde and for people who are about to go blonde here are some tips that have helped me maintain the health of my hair after bleaching.

• Make sure that you get a good moisturizing shampoo or do a pre poo treatment for example, putting jojoba oil or grapeseed oil over your hair and letting that sit in for at least an hour before shampooing your hair, that way it will not strip away all of the good oils out of your hair when you wash it.

• Try doing a deep treatment mask every week or every time you wash your hair.

• look at the ingredients in your deep treatment mask you should be avoiding ingredients that will dry out your hair such as Isopropyl Alcohol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Proteins. An excessive amount of protein in the hair can cause it to dry out so it is best to always alternate between a moisturizing shampoo and protein enriched shampoos.

• You can never go wrong with an at home mask! Grapeseed , jojoba and argan oil are always good for deep conditioning treatments. Just heat them up in the microwave or apply steam so that it can penetrate the hair shaft. Applying steam to any hair mask is a good way to let your cuticles open up so that they can soak in the vitamins from the hair mask.

• Apple Cider Vinegar rinses do wonders for all hair types!

• Simply mix 1 part ACV and 2 parts water into a bottle and once you’re done shampooing and conditioning your hair simply pour the ACV mixture on your hair. ACV is packed with vitamins for your hair, reduces frizz, helps with dry and itchy scalp, makes hair shiny, silky and soft by sealing your cuticles which also helps tremendously to prevent split ends.

• Some people like to leave the rinse on their hair and others like to rinse their hair with water after the ACV rinse.

• Pro Tip: Mix in a couple drops of RoseMary Essential Oil in order to reduce the smell of the ACV mixture. This oil also helps with hair growth.

• Mix ACV into your weekly hair masks!

• Going blonde is not a death sentence to your hair if you take care of it properly. But before you do go blonde I would definitely do some research to see if your up for the challenge. Blonde is a beautiful hair color and if taken care of properly, will flourish.

My name is Erica Huckaby, I am 21 years old and currently a senior at VCU majoring in Business and Mass Communications. I am an aspiring broadcast journalist with skills and experience in multimedia journalism and marketing. I currently work at NBC12 as a News Specialist. My passion and goal in life is to create, spread and share happiness. This past summer I worked for VCU as an International Business Consultant and really enjoyed being able to step outside my comfort zone. When I'm not busy with school or work I like to go to the beach, do yoga and shop til I drop! I am an elite bargain shopper if I do say so myself.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!