This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Thrifting has become a major trend in recent years with the rise of sustainability, Y2K and vintage styles. As people do with most things, they decided to capitalize on thrifting and started reselling their finds. This has led to a TikTok debate on whether or not this is an ethical practice with polarizing opinions on both sides. 

Why do people hate resellers?

The main argument against resellers is that they are taking quality, trendy items from the poor. Thrift stores have been a source for clothing and goods for low-income families for decades. For some people, the only way they can afford new clothes is if they are second-hand. When wealthy people empty thrift stores of quality pieces just to resell them, people who can’t afford new clothing are missing out. 

Another reason people hate resellers is that they price gouge. A reseller might thrift an item for $3 and then post it on Depop for $70. Most of the time the item is not worth that much. This means that not only can people no longer find that at the thrift store, but they now can’t find it on resale platforms at an affordable price. 

@kayllasbullshit

some sellers just got sucked into the capitalism vacuum but not all of them!!!! bullshit boutique is for the people 🗣🗣 #vintage #reseller #thrift #depop #onlinethriftstore

♬ original sound – kayllasbullshit

how do resellers feel?

Many resellers will fight tooth and nail to defend themselves against the hate they get online. 

Resellers defend themselves by saying that thrift stores are overwhelmed with clothing that will otherwise be sent to landfills. 84% of clothing ends up in landfills or incinerators. Resellers are keeping clothing in the circular economy and out of landfills longer than if they were to leave the items in thrift stores.

Another argument is that many resellers are low-income individuals. Reselling is a job that many low-income people do on the side to make extra money to provide for themselves and their families. Now that Depop has become so popular, the resale market has become saturated with young people, known as “Depop Girlies,” looking to make extra money.

This video is an example of how passionately resellers defend and justify their job. 

@gracebrinkly

this is just the tip of the ice burg

♬ original sound – Grace Brinkly

my take on resellers

I have very mixed feelings about reselling and both sides of the argument. I grew up shopping in thrift stores so my opinion is based on my experience in the second-hand arena over the course of many years. 

I have noticed the shift in public opinion when it comes to thrifting in general. I used to lie when people asked me where my clothes were from because they thought thrifting was gross. About six years ago, this started to change. All of a sudden the popular, rich girls were shopping in the same Goodwills as me but it was cool when they did it. 

Thrifting has become more and more gentrified as the years go on and it is now seen as the popular thing to do and not the poor thing to do. There are still many people who judge you because their thrifted item was more expensive than yours or they didn’t actually have to go into a thrift store to buy it.

It is very clear that reselling makes money and with its rising popularity, thrift stores are noticing that they can charge more for their merchandise to reach higher profits.

I also think a major reason for the discourse around reselling is that resellers refuse to listen to opposing opinions. Any time a low-income person expresses that they are finding it more and more difficult to afford thrifting and find good pieces, resellers deflect the blame like the plague. This makes people hate the “Depop girlies” because of their lack of receptiveness. 

I think it is important for resellers to acknowledge the damage they could potentially cause to people but I don’t think the amount of hate they get is entirely justified. Ultimately, resellers are just trying to make money like the rest of us are. 

Sadie Kinzer is a junior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in media studies. She loves reading and thrifting and spends time finding the best thrift stores around. She is interested in fashion and pop culture.