This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Autumn is the perfect time to experiment with new trends and seasonal staples. Ankle boots and booties are the perfect shoes for the transitional weather. They’re stylish, versatile and are essential for winter. Finding a pair (or two) that are cohesive for your style and your wardrobe is practically mandatory and with so many styles, designs and overall options, it is so much easier to find the pair perfect for you. To help you with this life or death process, here is a rundown on the different styles of ankle booties that are en-vogue for the upcoming season.

Peep-Toe

Peep-toe booties are very stylish and are always a trendy option. This style option comes with either a block heel or stiletto, so they aren’t always suitable for daily wear but are an easy way to elevate a casual outfit and make it look more put together.

Stilettos/Block Heels/Wedges/Flats

The difference in block heels, stilettos, wedges and flat ankle booties comes down to a matter of comfort, style and elegance. In general, a stiletto is more elegant than a block heel, which is more elegant than a wedge, which is more elegant than a flat. The higher the elegance, the less comfortable they will be (not mentioning the brand since some brands are more comfortable than others,) but this depends on your lifestyle and what the occasion is. Wedges and block heels are a crossroads for style and comfort, again depending on the brand. If you don’t have a lot of walking to do throughout the day, these are good options for a minimal physical activity day.

High Shaft vs. Low Shaft

Shaft, in terms of boots in general, refers to how high the boots are. Ankle booties can come below the ankle or right above the ankle, and this comes down to personal preference. If you want something with more ankle support, a higher shaft is more suited for you. If you like the look of one over the other, it just comes down to the look that you like. If you do prefer high shaft ankle boots, tuck your pant leg into the boot or wear a cropped pant that lets the eye flow over the outfit without cutting your body at a joint.

Design

The last element of choosing the right element comes down to style. This is the best part because it isn’t up to trends and what is in style; it is simply up to you and what you like! Some examples vary on whether they are laced up or not, if they are embroidered or if they have trim around the top. This is all up to what catches your eye and what goes with whatever you already have in your closet. Have fun with it!

Overall, despite what items are trending, what is on the runway, or what is seen popular media, the styles you choose are all up to you. If you like a style that isn’t necessarily trendy, that doesn’t mean that you can’t get it, it just makes it unique to you and your preference. Go for whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident. Enjoy the fall weather with your new boots!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Maia is a senior at VCU double majoring in Print/Online Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. She loves to write about fashion and beauty and spends her free time reading, writing, and taking naps.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!