Angelique Scott: Artist of Growth, Passion, and True Creativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

VCU is known across the world for its top-notch Arts School. At this past annual Earth Day Bazaar, Angelique Scott displayed her impeccable work across the tables, attracting much attention. 

Angelique Scott 

Age: 19

Career/Job: Currently: a Junior Undergraduate/Studio Technician at the Visual Arts Center 

Future: Full time Artist/Art Educator, Owner/Founder of a gallery/non-profit for youth development 

Favorite Quote: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” -Gandhi

Tell me a little about yourself: 

I have always been an ambitious, enthusiastic, gorgeous person. At a young age I was extremely curious about all forms of art. From wanting to be musician and learning how to play both the trumpet and piano, to painting, to wanting become a designer and creating my own clothes. I come from an art-loving family. They supported my talent in any way they could, such as buying me my first trumpet, art easel, and sewing machine. I completely indulged myself into art and was fortunate enough to go to a private high school that focused on the arts and there I feel in love with ceramics; I fell in love with my craft. Now, I am able to attend the #1 public arts university in the country, studying art education and crafts with a focus in clay and a minor in art history. Being a hands-on learner, seeing and exploring new things inspires my artwork. The world is too big, too full of knowledge and life not to explore it. I am a firm believer of pushing my boundaries and traveling outside of my comfort zone. When I’m not traveling, working in the studio or working at the Visual Arts Center of Richmond, I am working with children. As a member of VCU Aspire, I work with organizations such as the Boys and Girls Clubs, Peter Paul development center, Habitat for Humanities, Hands-Up Ministries and so many others. I have the privilege of being a mentor for George Washington Carver Elementary, and I must say my mentee is very inspiring when it comes to my artwork. She encourages me to think about my concepts from different perspectives. I have won a Silver key from the VMFA Scholastic Arts and Writing Program as a junior in high school and more recently participated in the VMFA young emerging artists and innovators program. Moreover, I am currently Ms.NAACP and Community Engagement Chair at VCU for the 2015-2016 academic year, as well as Vice Present for the contemporary craft society at VCU. These positions play a huge part in my artwork because it encourages me to push my concepts and encourage my audience to think about my work on a different level. Overall, I focus on challenging myself, constantly learning and growing and expressing it through my artwork. 

What color best describes you and why?

Green because it is the color of life, rebirth and renewal. I am always changing, always growing, and always evolving; I’m an dynamic. Green is also a happy color, when you were little and your teacher gave you a green face for the day, that was a good thing. I am extremely kind-hearted. Green is a peaceful, harmonious color. I love to smile and laugh a lot; I’m really big on spreading positivity and love. I think the color green is a great representation of that. 

If your artwork could speak, what would they say about you?

If my artwork could speak it would probably tell me to take break. I am a workaholic. I love what I do and so often I lose track of time and end up in the studio for 10-13 hours at a time. Haha. My artwork would speak to my passion, it would exclaim my dedication. It would say that it feels loved, it is created alive, full of life. It is created with care and attention. 

Where do you draw your inspiration from?

I draw inspiration from everywhere. Everything I interact with affects my art, especially children. I work with kids a lot and I love to get their opinion on things like color and design; They are truly free spirits. I’m also very inspired by my Caribbean and African heritage. I love learning about my people and how they created art. Growing up, I did not learn about black artists and it bothered me that I never did so I took it upon myself to do my own research and teach myself. As I change, my artwork changes as well. My artwork speaks to issues that surround the black community. My latest piece focused on black hair. I remember when I was little being told I had “good hair” I would always think to myself what does that mean? What is “good hair”? Who defined what hair is good and bad? I have come to understand that there is no such thing. 

What are your goals for the future?

There are a lot of things that I hope to accomplish. I want to be a full time artist and art educator, not necessarily an art teacher in a classroom setting. I want to start my own nonprofit focusing on youth development as well as open up a chain of art galleries that highlight emerging and international artist.  

To see more of Angelique’s work, see below: 

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009299117536

Website: http://artby-angelique.tumblr.com/

Instagram: art.byangelique 

Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!