This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.
Aminata Jalloh

Age: 20

Major: Fashion Merchandising

Hometown: Lorton, VA

Why was VCU the school for you? 

My first visit clarified that this was the school for me. As a sophomore, I attended Fashion Career Day and fell in love with the Fashion Merchandising Program. 

What organizations are you involved with here on campus?

I am involved in the Theta Rho Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, Fashion for Cancer, Lifeline Student Ministry, African Student Union and minimal involvement in Black Student Union. 

Everyone that know you know how fashionable you are; where does your style come from?

Surprisingly, I cannot pinpoint exactly where my style is drawn from. However, I do believe it is more classic and recyclable. I would like enhance the items in closet by broadening my silhouettes. 

You also model; when did you figure out you wanted to stand in front of the camera?

Modeling is a daily challenge. I have extremely confident days while others require an additional boost of confidence. 

How has being an AKA made your experience here at VCU different?

Each day is a new lesson. It allows me to keep my purpose aligned. Life is not simply about how I feel but more about how I can positively impact society.
Do you have any advice for young women who want to get into fashion or even modeling?

Modeling is difficult but the most helpful tool is fitness. It could enhance your chances of working with a client.
In regards to fashion aspirations, keep an open mind. Fashion is definitely a learning experience with many open avenues.  I would recommend reaching out to people that motivate you (teachers, advisers, designers, students, models, retailers). In addition, knowledge is a powerful tool. Research individually and see what follows.

What are your big plans after you graduate?

The directed end goal is menswear. My current task is narrowing down the aspects that capture my interest.

Keep up with Aminata on Instagram & Twitter!
Currently I am a Sophomore at VCU , pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Fashion Merchandising. I hope to travel to different spots around the world inspiring designers and retailers to be creative and innovative as a trend chaser/forecaster.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!