Add These 10 Movies To Your Galentine’s Day Watchlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

On every holiday, I find myself mindlessly scrolling through every streaming platform imaginable, trying to find something festive to watch. While I can usually find a new flick to keep me occupied for 90 minutes, there have been a few instances where I rewatch a popular rom-com for the umpteenth time. So, to prevent wasting your time on Galentine’s Day, I have compiled a list of 10 movies that will hopefully meet your holiday expectations, in addition to categorizing them to make this a user-friendly guide.

For the girls looking for a good laugh

“The Proposal” (Hulu)

Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds bring their star power together in this hilarious rom-com. The movie is a perfect example of the enemies-to-lovers and the fake relationship trope. By the end, you’ll have butterflies and a stomach ache from laughing.

“Set It Up” (Netflix)

“Set It Up,” released in 2018, singlehandedly revived the rom-com genre as we know it, in addition to bringing Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch together in this funny yet adorable movie. The two actors star as underpaid assistants who are trying to catch a break from their crazy bosses, so they try to set them up on a date. In between the scheming, there are some great one-liners from Pete Davidson in his supporting role.

“Bridget Jones’s Diary” (rent on YouTube and Amazon Prime Video)

For the girlies looking for British humor, try watching “Bridget Jones’s Diary” this Galentine’s Day. There’s a little bit of everything in this flick including good laughs, late 90s/early 2000s Hugh Grant and relatable moments that women everywhere have probably experienced.

For the Girls looking for a heartthrob

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” (Paramount +)

I’m sure you’ve all seen the recently resurfaced clips of this classic rom-com floating around on TikTok, so take that as your sign to watch it this Galentine’s Day. Between Matthew McConaughey’s suave attitude and his off-the-charts chemistry with Kate Hudson, your evening in watching this movie won’t disappoint. BTW, if you want more shirtless Matthew McConaughey, check out his other movie with Kate Hudson, “Fool’s Gold.”

“13 Going on 30” (Peacock)

Mark Ruffalo’s boy next door charm in “13 Going on 30” is the perfect way to kick off a Galentine’s Day screening. His character’s unconditional love for Jennifer Garner is guaranteed to give you all of the butterflies. In addition to getting to watch Mark Ruffalo for 98 minutes, there is some amazing fashion eye candy!

“Crazy Rich Asians” (HBO Max)

Similar to “13 Going on 30,” there’s some amazing fashion in this flick, in addition to Henry Golding’s wildly attractive looks and talent. Golding’s character, Nick, is the swoon-worthy boyfriend that’s whisking his longtime love, Rachel, away to Singapore for his best friend’s wedding.

For the Girls looking for a little bit of everything

“LOL” (Netflix and Amazon Prime Video)

This 2010s throwback starring Miley Cyrus is the perfect film if you’re looking for some high school nostalgia, family and boy drama and the best friends-to-lovers trope.

“Love, Rosie” (Pluto TV and rent on YouTube)

If you’re looking for butterflies and a good cry, watch “Love, Rosie” with your friends. Lily Collins’ chemistry with Sam Claflin in this best friends-to-lovers movie is palpable and will have you clutching a box of tissues to dab away happy and sad tears.

“The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” (rent on YouTube and Amazon Prime Video)

While “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” has some rom-com elements, it’s the perfect movie to watch with your BFFs on Galentine’s Day. Between the star-studded cast and the warm-hearted sisterly moments, you’re going to want to grab your favorite snacks and some tissues.

“Clueless” (Paramount + and Pluto TV)

I couldn’t leave the ultimate Galentine’s Day movie off of this list and get away with it! Whether you’re spending the evening alone or with friends, you can never go wrong with “Clueless.” Alicia Silverstone’s iconic portrayal of Cher Horowitz is enough to rope you in, but the hilarious ensemble cast is what makes you stay.

Claudia Stewart is currently a senior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in art history. She enjoys watching rom-coms, baking double chocolate chip cookies with her roommate, and finding the best spot for sushi in her free time. Stewart loves writing about pop culture, fashion, and beauty.