Aaron Logan Mauck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Aaron Logan Mauck

Age: 22

Year: Senior

Major: Theatre

Hometown: Fredericksburg, Va.

Why VCU?

I saw a few shows they put on here in high school and they had me hooked. It was the only school I applied to, actually.

What’s your favorite place in Richmond?

The Byrd! $2 movies in a gorgeous theatre, can’t top it.

How are you involved at VCU or in the community?

I’ve been the Vice President of Music Alliance at VCU and I’ve played in a few bands around Richmond. The main focus was getting musicians who weren’t majoring in it to still get together and keep playing. There are showcases that we put on that are open-mic-esque. There’s a great community of people that are putting out some really impressive music.

How long have you been acting?

I’ve been acting for about eight or nine years, since eighth grade at least.

How did you first become involved with theater?

A class I had in middle school put on a production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream at the end of every year. I got asked to play this crossdressing character which got a ton of laughs, and I was hooked. So, yeah, started with me in lipstick and eyeliner I suppose. There are pictures somewhere…

How do you respond when people try to discourage you from pursuing acting as a career?

I haven’t had that in a while actually! The most I get anymore is, “Well, where are you gonna go?” since Virginia is still a pretty small market, even though it’s growing at a crazy rate. I like the idea that you can still fail at doing some menial, boring thing you hate, so you might as well take the chance at being great at something you love.

What shows have you been in at VCU and in Richmond so far?

I most recently played Macbeth on the VCU mainstage this past fall. I’ve been working with some friends in the film and cinema departments since I was a freshman, so I have a handful of films I’ve done with them.

What are you currently working on?

I just wrapped on a part for the 2nd season of Turn and we’re about to open Pride and Prejudice on VCU’s mainstage. The seniors have this showcase class where we put together a show to put up in NY, LA and a few other places. We’re treating it as a small tour, publicity and everything. It’s an insane amount to coordinate, but I think we’re gonna end up with something special. We’re called “Uncommonwealth” check us out!

Do you have a favorite past role?

I played Brutus in Julius Caesar a few summers ago, and it kind of kicked me in the teeth. Playing this guy who wants so badly to do the right thing but still comes out on the wrong side of things was a wake-up call for me. It just changed the way I thought about most aspects of life and helped reaffirm why I act, to share that experience. I want to go back and play that part again in a few years after I’ve tried and failed a bit more in life.

What’s the best thing about being a theatre major at VCU?

The best thing, easily, is the amount of diversity at every turn. There are so many perspectives you get to take in that show you a more complete view of the world. Sometimes you’re juggling three different characters at a time between your classes or productions and you’ve gotta be ready to drop into that person within a moment’s notice. There’s something exciting about getting the chance to live so many lives in that way. It’s a mind-opening experience, for sure.

A word of advice for current or prospective theater students:

Reach out and work with people who think differently than you do. I think it can be easy to find people who create similarly, but it doesn’t challenge how you work as an artist. Disagreement is so vital to collaboration, because it makes you defend your choices and understand why you might feel a certain way. It’s the best way to discern between which ideas are worth fighting for and which ones need to be replaced. Also, reach out to those Film and Cinema folks! I’ve made some great friends because I was free for a weekend to help them finish a project. You’ll get a chance to practice your art, make some connections and probably score some pizza and beer to top it off.

Favorite celebrity moment:

I wanna say when Alec Baldwin followed me on Twitter, cause I geeked out hard. But. I was on set for Killing Kennedy and Michelle Trachtenberg had a supremely badass moment. I was standing with two other guys in this ball scene and my part was to hit on her and that kind of thing. There’s a guy on set who marks where everyone stands during the shot with tape, and when he came around, one of the guys said to him, “Dude, you’ve got the easiest job here man! You just have to put down some tape!” The guy was kind of irked, but tried to laugh it off. I mean, he’s just been insulted about his profession by this random f*cking extra, ya know? And without missing a beat, Michelle looks at him and says, “You should know that this guy is gonna be directing one of these in a few years. You should wise up and think about what you spout off at people.” Everyone in earshot had that, “OHHhShiiiiit!!” moment like she’d dropped the mic. Anyway, homeboy was taken out of the shot and I ended up getting a ton of screen time flirting with Michelle Trachtenberg. It was chill.

What do you do in your free time?

If I’ve got some time, I get some jam therapy on the drums. I just got a PS4 too, so I’ve been lost in that. Most of the time though, I’m sleeping. Like, 9 or 10 hours a night. Best thing in the world.

Any hidden talents?

Sleeping at the drop of a hat (see above)

Last song you listened to:

Familiarity by Punch Brothers. They have a new album, and it’s amazing.

Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.