This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Autumn is one of the most eventful times of the year. The foliage becomes colorful variations of reds and yellows, companies sell fall-themed foods, various attractions open and the holiday season is around the corner. In my opinion, this is the best time to take out the camera and make some fun memories. In the state of Virginia, the list of fall activities is endless. Here is a list of events that will make your fall unforgettable. 

Festivals

Virginia is well known for its festivals and events, particularly in Richmond. For example, in the spring there is the Shamrock The Block Street Festival, and in the summer there is the Watermelon Festival and the Jazz and Musical Festival. In the Fall, there is the Graves’ Mountain Apple Harvest Festival and the Thomas Jefferson Wine Festival. Go enjoy some apple dishes or some vintage wine. 

Pumpkin Picking

When people think of fall, they think of pumpkins and pumpkin patches, and Virginia has a lot of them. However, my favorites are the Chesterfield Berry Farm pumpkin patch and the Ashland Berry Farm’s pumpkin patch. Chesterfield Berry Farm offers a more family-oriented experience with a corn maze, animals, corn cannons, and various fun zones and bounce houses. Ashland Berry Farm, however, provides a scarier experience with an event called Terror on the Farm after 7:00 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. 

Apple Picking

Apple picking is another must-do in the fall. While there are around 12 apple orchards in Virginia, one of the most popular is the Carter Mountain Orchard, located in Charlottesville, VA. There, you can pick various types of apples while getting an amazing view of the mountains. Carter Mountain offers various attractions such as food trucks on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays. In addition, they have a market and bakery where you can purchase all sorts of different produce and baked goods that are made on the orchard. For those 21 and older, Carter Mountain also offers a wine shop where they sell their own family wine. My favorite part is their apple cider donuts and frozen apple cider!

Skyline Drive

The Virginia Shenandoah Skyline Drive is for everyone who enjoys a bit of scenery. The drive is 105 miles long and takes about three hours to complete in ideal weather. Make sure to grab a friend and some cider!

Ghost Tours

For those who enjoy the spooky aspect of fall, you would enjoy Richmond ghost tours. Virginia is full of history, as a result, there are many “haunted” places to explore. Haunts of Richmond offers various locations around the city of Richmond that share its haunted history. Make sure to bring a friend with you!

Fall is an exciting time of year because there is always something to do. In fact, the list never ends as there are so many great activities that weren’t mentioned. Regardless, I hope I have given you some ideas as to what to do this fall season.

Chelsea is a senior Broadcast Journalism major at Virginia Commonwealth University and a new member of the HerCampus editorial team. She spends much of her time studying, passionately watching musicals, singing, and acting. Chelsea graduates in May 2024 and wants to move to New York City or California to pursue her professional career.