9 Pieces of Outfit Inspiration from David Cassidy and the Partridge Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you haven’t looked into the kaleidoscope that is 1960s and 1970s television programs – I encourage you to do so now. These shows provide a glimpse into the psychedelic world many people who were our age in 1968, got to experience. What a trip. As you may know, The Partridge Family were an early 1970’s family band created for television, and although they weren’t technically a real band, they released albums just the same. Their TV popularity skyrocketed to rival even the most well-loved contemporary shows, such as “The Brady Bunch.” David Cassidy, or Keith Partridge, passed away at the age of 67 on Nov. 21, 2017. Here is a look back into Cassidy and his costars’ 1970s time capsule on the screen, in light of his passing.

1. Colorblock chillin’ in the kitchen

I see that little chocolate collar popping, Mrs. Partridge. Susan Dey’s “unwashed” denim jacket needs to come back into style now as well.

2. Multicolored florals and plaids

How I would die for a fitted long plaid skirt or Keith’s shirt in this shot.

3. Ties under short-sleeved cardigans and pastel gingham

I’d like to think that spring is just around the corner even though it’s not even winter yet, and Keith’s shirt is reminding me of Easter and the flower buds of spring. I’ve honestly never seen a shirt-tie combo tucked underneath of a short-sleeved cardigan as well. Something to ponder.

4. Ughhhhhh. The candy striped suit! 

This time with a mini skirt instead of pants?! I’m dead, please send me this outfit to wear in the grave. The colors also range through all seasons, and that bright orange underneath makes the rest of the shades POP!

5. The perfect muted fall floral drop-waist dress with a long yellow vest and men’s shirt to coordinate 

Ignoring the fact that these two are brother and sister in the show, couple outfit goals, right?!

6. Mother-daughter-daughter ruffled collar shirt and evergreen short-tall combo

This one is a doozy. I would wear it, but like where and when? In my room alone, that’s when. The color combo is like a sweet daffodil, but the overall look borders on “Austin Powers.”

7. Stars in this shot: double breasted navy mock neck tee and the o-ring zip up tee 

Perfect for a comfy-cute weekend out to the farmer’s market. P.S. look at the ‘tude on the little girl’s face. The best accessory to a sweet 1970s ensemble.

8. 16-year-old does a 4-year-old birthday party outfit 

You know, this could go over well at Christmas maybe? With a red bow instead of a pink one? I’m just kidding this outfit is niche AF and needs to be worn alone in your room. I still like it though.

9. Last but not least, the lemon chiffon big a*s collar  

This is my favorite. The pearls really add a sophistication, and look at those sheer swiss dot sleeves. Dreamy.

I hope you decide to incorporate some of these #winning looks into your fall/winter/spring/summer lookbooks. I’ll see you at the vintage shop soon.

Photo credits: Cover, all additional images from this site.

Madeline Wheeler is a journalist major with a focus in print and online journalism at VCU. In her free time, she enjoys drinking floral teas, going to underground concerts in smoky basements, and hunting for keys to the past in antique stores.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!