9 College Myths and What to Really Expect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

1. MYTH: Get ready for the Freshman 15

Oh, the dreaded Freshman 15…This is definitely on the top of many incoming freshmen’s list of things to worry about. Well, we’re here to tell you that you can stop stressing about it! While there are quite a few people who return home heavier than when they left, we can guarantee it’s nowhere close to 15 pounds. The average freshman gains only about five pounds or less, according to a Boston University article. With the psychological stress, freedom to eat whatever you want, irregular schedules, social events, and of course, alcohol, it can be easy to pack on a few extra pounds — BUT, it is completely possible to avoid it, as well! Take advantage of your campus gym, control your sleeping schedule and watch what you eat/drink. It also helps that most freshman don’t bring their car to college their first year. Walking is a great form of exercise!

2. MYTH: You’ll keep all of your high school friends

Truth be told, you won’t be friends with more than half of your friends from high school. It’s a combination of lack of communication while you’re apart, being in completely different campus scenes and making newer (sometimes even, better) friends. That’s not to say that it’s impossible to stay in touch with your best friend from back home! If you’re willing to make the effort, it’s entirely possible!

3. MYTH: Eating alone is weird

For some reason, many people find it uncomfortable eating alone in the dining hall — or anywhere, for that matter. In college, you don’t always have time to make plans to grab lunch with someone, especially not between your 20-minute break between classes. It’s okay to eat alone! There are plenty of people who pull out their laptop and do school work while eating. It’s efficient and it looks like you’re doing something important instead of sitting alone because you couldn’t find anyone to eat with. 

4. MYTH: If you did great in high school, you’ll do great in college

This is a major college misconception. There are plenty of students who didn’t do well in high school that do great in college. The reason being, you don’t have as many grades in college to fluff up your grade like you did in high school. There are high school students that are smart but don’t have good grades because they’re too lazy to do the extra assignments. Most college courses have very few assignments — your grade could be made up of only the exams. This will definitely work in their favor. If your grades in high school were great only because of the extra weight on your grade from homework and other assignments, you may struggle.

5. MYTH: Communal bathrooms are terrible

We’ve all seen those college movies where the communal bathrooms are depicted as filthy and disgusting. The honest truth? It’s not as bad as you think! A professional janitorial staff cleans communal bathrooms whereas students who live in a suite-style dorm have to clean their own bathroom. Because you don’t have to worry about cleaning the restroom, you never have to worry about running out of toilet paper! That’s a plus! Also, you will probably never have to wait to shower or use the bathroom since there are more than enough stalls. Those living in a dorm that have communal bathrooms usually get closer to the residents living on their floor too. It makes transitioning into a new place that much easier.

6. MYTH: You can skip all of your classes

While most professors don’t take attendance, it’s still a good idea to attend all of your classes. Not showing up for class will reflect in your grades. You’re an adult now and responsibility comes along with that. If you do have to miss a few classes, it’s not a big deal. Just make sure to contact your professor and makeup any work missed — if they allow you to.

7. MYTH: College is only four years long

There are plenty of college students who stay in school longer than the general four years. Maybe they don’t have enough credits to graduate, maybe they changed their major a few times, maybe they just aren’t ready or needed to take a semester off sometime during their college career. Whatever the case may be, staying in college for more than four years is becoming a common thing. Also, you have a lot of students going to grad school and med school straight after college.

8. MYTH: You will get a job in your major

Just because you majored in biology doesn’t always mean you’re going to become a biologist. It just doesn’t work that way anymore. Your major does not necessarily determine a set future career. Sometimes people graduate college and realize they followed the wrong career path. Sometimes, people find jobs in a related field. A major does not directly correlate to a job.

9. MYTH: Your roommate will become your best friend

Those roommate match tests aren’t exactly accurate. Sometimes, being matched with a roommate that is similar to you ends up being a bad thing. There are plenty of roommate horror stories, whether you’re living with a friend from high school or getting randomly matched. The best thing to do is enter college with an open mind. You may just become best friends with your roommate. Whatever happens, try to maintain a positive and courteous living space. 

Kristina Hipolito is a Chesapeake native and a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. As a Mass Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations, she has a passion for writing, traveling, and event planning. Her aspirations include one day moving to the big city and working in either the entertainment travel/leisure, or media industry as a PR Professional, Marketing Coordinator, or Event Planner. In her spare time, you can find her on campus running to her next meeting or updating her multiple social networking sites. Follow her on Twitter @ktinaah or read her blog kristinahipolito.blogspot.com!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!