This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In a world that can hard on women, it is very easy to feel powerless and detached from your female peers and classmates, that’s why Her Campus VCU is partnering with A Global Friendship to encourage women to listen to their voice and empower other women. We know to be kind to one another, but do we know how easy it can be? Here are some small yet powerful actions you can take to make the world a little kinder and uplift your fellow collegiettes! 

1. Pay attention to what she posts on social media

Are you reading in between the lines of all the Buzzfeed articles, memes and cat posts? There are many tell-tale signs that a friend is in trouble and it only takes a second of your attention span to pay attention. With all of the social media input we receive, it’s easy to just click “like” or “retweet” and not give any second thought to what could be a potential cry for help.

2. Be her gym buddy

We all want to be the kind of people who have their life together and go to the gym. As a fellow collegiette expressed, the gym can be kind of terrifying. As the writer, Katie Bashista, so accurately puts it, “if you both look stupid, at least be stupid together.” If someone you know expresses anxiety about going to the gym, kill two birds with one stone and offer to go with. You’ll reap the health benefits and be uplifting each other.

3. Peer-review that paper she’s been stressing about

Even if you know nothing about the topic she’s writing about, you don’t have the same major, if the paper is twenty pages long or even if it’s only a few paragraphs– take the time out to help a fellow collegiette. Never underestimate the power of another set of eyes on a piece of writing. There will be something you see that she might not. This will help strengthen her paper, and she’ll really appreciate it! 

4. When it comes to drinking or going out late, mention that safety is your priority

A wise woman once told me, “So, like, not to sound totally, I guess lame…but if you ever feel, I dunno, uncomfortable or like, need me to come rescue you or something… just let me know. I won’t leave your side. That sounds weird like I’m your mom or whatever, but seriously. I’m here. I wanna have fun but like let’s be smart, okay?” I wanted to hug her so hard. There have been many times I’ve gone out late with a group of people I wasn’t sure if I could trust. Just a small, firm mentioning that you care about safety and won’t ditch your friend for being too drunk is really assuring.

5. Forgive her

Think of how many industries benefit from women being at odds with each other. There is a lot of money to be made and drama to be filmed with the notion that women must be catty with one other. Even if you don’t want to drop the feud you’re having with your ex’s new girlfriend, or it really is your roommate’s turn to do the dishes, take a deep breath and consider letting it go. I don’t mean let yourself be walked all over, but choosing not to hold a grudge with another woman is one of the most empowering things you can do for yourself and others.

6. Reach out to her 

“Should I say something? Nah, she’s probably got it. Right? I mean, it’s like, not socially acceptable to just go up and talk to strangers, right?” is what you’re probably thinking. You have a voice and if your gut is telling you, chances are you would want someone to do the same for you.

7. Compliment her instead of tear her down

Okay, maybe you’re not digging her new shade of eye shadow, but you can appreciate how on fleek her brows her. Compliment her on the things she does well instead of pointing out all of her flaws.

8. Be a genuine friend

Women understand other women, and women need to have faith in other women. Be honest with her when she needs advice. Fierce lady friendships are some of the best relationships– have you seen Amy Poehler and Tina Fey together?

Katie is a 21 year old Psychology major at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her legal name is Katherine, but only her mother can call her that when she's in trouble. She loves coffee, lipstick, science, leggings, and people who properly cite their sources.
VCU Contributor Account