8 Things I Learned From My Older Brothers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Growing up, the adults around me sounded like a broken record. I can’t count the number of times I heard the phrase, “one day you will get along” in regards to my brothers and I. We got along better than most siblings though. I can total the number of fights we had throughout our childhoods to a whopping ten to twelve while I can remember going to my friend’s houses and seeing brutal arguments between siblings every single time. However, being the youngest and the only girl meant that it was always two against one, but that’s not exactly something I consider a disadvantage. What was theirs became mine and I was constantly exposed to the best movies, TV shows and music. I have my parents to thank for raising me to be the person I am today but I also attribute a lot of my personality and interests to the two most irritating, stubborn, easy going, best big brothers I could ask for.

1. Boy Clothes Are Comfier than Girl Clothes

When I say I grew up with only older brothers, people consider me lucky for not having to experience hand-me-downs. The truth is, I totally did. I look like a boy in our family pictures where I’m sporting shorts and a “big-dog” t-shirt with my bowl-cut hair (thanks mom). Now, I thank my brothers for the endless flannels and oversized t-shirts which I wear proudly to this day.

2. Boys Really Don’t Notice Anything

Having brothers taught me a lot about what’s important and what’s not. I’m not one to put in a ton of effort simply to impress boys, and I think that’s in part because having brothers made me realize that boys really don’t care. We should all be thankful for that and I’m thankful to have learned that lesson early on. 

3. Sometimes, I am Being Dramatic

I have a lot of emotions. My brothers were not hesitant to put me in my place when I threw fits over trivial things. I wouldn’t say having older brothers made me less dramatic, but I can understand when I’m being too much and I know when to take it down a notch.

4. RELAX

That being said, I’m way more easygoing because of my brothers. I’m most appreciative for them for helping me realize that I shouldn’t sweat the small stuff. I’ve learned to go with the flow because the flow was often going in their direction and I was just along for the ride.

5. My Sense of Humor

Our house is filled with Will Ferrell, Seth Rogen, and “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” quotes. Sometimes I feel like my sense of humor is more grotesque because I have older brothers and the idea of “being a lady” completely goes out the window when it comes to my humor. But who doesn’t love a good fart joke? 

6. Boys are Gross and I Can’t Change That

I shared a bathroom with two boys and walked past their bedrooms for 18 years and it’s gross. The most unfair part of this is that I was always the one who cleaned up our bathroom when company came. I still see their dried toothpaste and stubble scattered across the sink in my nightmares.

7. Fight Hard

I don’t mean physically fight. I didn’t learn how to actually fight regardless of how many headlocks they put me in. I learned to struggle until my mom told them to let me go. I do, however, mean that they taught me to fight hard for whatever I wanted to achieve even if that wasn’t really their intention. I always wanted to catch up with them and that meant working extra hard.

8. Have Each Other’s Backs

I was born with two personal body guards. I know they’ll always support me even when I make stupid mistakes and they’ll always be there to help me out when I need it.   

Katie is a freshman at VCU studying mass communications with a concentration in journalism. She loves attending concerts, James Franco's instagram selfies, quoting Will Ferrell movies, and her two dogs Laila and Frazier. You can follow her on twitter and instagram @katiebashista. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!