The 8 Stages of Packing your Freshman Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As the end of the academic year draws to a close, freshman dorms start warning students about their closing date. Packing up your freshman dorm is one of the hardest things that we all have to go through at some point or another. Finals week is upon us, as is packing season, here are some of the stages everyone will go through when packing up their freshman dorm.

1. Where to start

Packing up your dorm after your freshman year will be a daunting task. You look around your room and see the crazy number of things that you have accumulated through the year and wonder where you will be able to put all this new stuff.

2. Finding lost things

When you start to pull out the bins that you have masterfully stacked under your bed, you start to find all the things you have lost throughout the year. You find the Starbuck’s card your mom sent your for your birthday, your favorite t-shirt and that one high heel you got mad at after it blistered your foot during a night out.

3. Where to pack everything

You look around your floor and there is an assortment of empty bins, bags and a huge suitcase. Obviously, this is going to take some planning and praying that everything fits.

4. Laying everything out

You begin to lay everything out to go in each box and then you realize just how many university t-shirts you have accumulated throughout the year.

5. Hunger

Suddenly hunger hits you so you text your best friend to meet you at the dining hall. After procrastinating packing for an hour in the dining hall, you finally go back and look at the huge mess that is packing up a dorm.

6. Sleepiness

The food coma is starting to set in. Even though you know your parents are coming at 8 a.m. tomorrow to pick you up, you still don’t want to pack.

7. Sudden Burst of Energy

After watching YouTube for about an hour, you suddenly get a burst of energy. You are able to quickly get everything packed up, except the basic necessities that you need to use that night.

8. Moving out morning

This morning is very stressful due to nature of everything. You finish packing what little you have left and then you go down to the front desk to borrow a moving cart and to schedule your move out time. Once you have everything packed in the cart, your phone rings to tell you your parents are out front so you take down your stuff after the final move out room check.

Congratulations! You made it through your first year of college. See you next August!

Photo Credit: Cover 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!