beauty products outside
beauty products outside
Emily Nelissen
Style > Beauty

8 Items For Your Summer Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Your skin’s needs can change and differ depending on the season. With warmer temperatures right around the corner, here are a few products to incorporate into your skincare routine for great looking skin this summer.

Water-Based Moisturizer

Switching to a water-based moisturizer has been a game-changer for me. If you’re the kind of person who hates the feeling of lotion, this is a great alternative. It’s incredibly light on your face but still manages to keep your skin moisturized. Water-based products are also great for all skin types, it’s not greasy, which is great for oily skin types, and it’s moisturizing enough for dry skin types.

Products I recommend: Neutrogena Hydroboost, Fresh Rose & Hyaluronic Acid Deep Hydration Moisturizer, Tatcha The Water Cream.

Sunscreen/SPF

Many people don’t do this, but sunscreen should be used year-round, not just in the summer. But you might want to opt for a stronger SPF during the summertime. It’s also good to opt for something lightweight and hydrating.

All-in-One Moisturizer

Nobody likes the feeling of product melting off your face when its blazing outside, and applying a moisturizer and a sunscreen can feel heavy on your skin. Opt for moisturizers that come with SPF. And if you would prefer some coverage, you can also opt for a tinted moisturizer with SPF. 

Vitamin C Serum

Summer can leave skin prone to discoloration and dark spotsand Vitamin C is a great ingredient to help fight that. Vitamin C could also work great if you have any hyperpigmentation or acne scars. 

Hydrating Face Mist

A Hydrating facial mist comes in handy on those blazing hot summer days. Just pop a bottle in your bag or purse and mist when you need a little refreshing. And if you don’t want to spend money on one, it’s very easy to make a DIY Face mist.

Makeup Setting Spray

A makeup setting spray is also a must-have during the summer. Makeup tends to smear more often during the summer, and that’ll help you out with that. There are also tons of DIY setting spray recipes you can try.

Oil Blotting Sheets

If you have oily skin, summer weather might be your worst enemy. This is where oil blotting sheets come to the rescue. These sheets can help control oil when you’re out all day in the heat. And if you want to be a little less wasteful, you can try some reusable or DIY options.

Aloe Vera

This is one thing that everyone should have handy during the summertime. Aloe vera is a great ingredient with healing and cooling properties, and it is great for your skin. It can help treat sunburns, clearing breakouts, hydrate your skin, tone your skin, and even treat acne. Try to buy skincare products that contain aloe vera in the summertime. Or better yet, go ahead and buy a plant! Break off a piece of aloe and scoop out the gel, and it works just as well as store-bought gel, if not better.

Sanjana Ravulapalli is a Junior at VCU, double majoring in Political science and Digital Journalism. She currently serves as the Vice President and Events Director for Her Campus at VCU. She loves art, theatre, writing, politics and exploring Richmond. She hopes to find herself working for a major media outlet in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!