7 Things All Double Majors Know to Be True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

For all the double majors out there who are working their butts off, our hats are off to you. Taking on a lot of work can be tough, but you’ve got it! Keep on truckin’!

1. You are hella busy. Practically all the time.

Working toward two majors doesn’t give you much free time! Balancing your studies, social life and sleep can be tricky at first. However, once you get in the groove and can figure out how to best juggle everything, you’ll notice that your full plate doesn’t seem quite so overwhelming. Just beware of weeks where you have several larger assignments due, they can sneak up on you!

2. People still try to discredit you, especially if your majors are not science-y.

“Wow! You’re double majoring? Good for you! That must be a lot of work! What are you studying?”

“Yeah, it is. And I’m studying English and Advertising!”

“Oh…” *is unimpressed*

Sound familiar? Sure, it’s easy to assume a more science-oriented major is going to be more difficult than one in the humanities. But, you know what they say about assumptions! Truth is, level of difficulty is all relative. What might be simple for you could be the most difficult thing in the world to another person. So let’s stop major shaming and start appreciating everyone’s hard work!

3. People accuse you of “overachieving.”

Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Overachieving ensures that you succeed and, ultimately, that’s what you want to do after you graduate and start a career. No one wants to hire someone who doesn’t try their best.

You also might not be overachieving at all. Instead, you might just be unsure about what you want to do in life, so two majors leaves you with more options. Both are totally okay!

4. You learn A LOT.

Twice as many majors equals twice as many classes which equals twice as much learning! If nothing else, knowing that you left college with more knowledge than you had when you came in is a great feeling. And, you can impress all of your friends for years to come with all of your fun, college-educated facts.

5. You might take 19 credits, sometimes for multiple semesters.

Sometimes, it can’t be helped, especially if you are working toward a specific graduation date. Although, if you are really dedicated to your craft(s) and can balance all of the work, it truly isn’t that bad. Just be sure that you love both majors before committing to the heavy workload.

6. You might graduate with more than 120 credits.

Again, sometimes it can’t be helped. Oftentimes, especially when your majors are in two separate schools within the university, classes do not overlap and you are stuck with more than the normal credit hours. If you can afford it, though, and are willing to take on the challenge, it’s worthwhile and rewarding.

7. Although it might seem hard, is still possible for you to graduate on time (or early!)

Take summer classes, do CLEP tests and try your hardest to ensure that you will not have to re-take any classes. Oftentimes, with two majors and the potential for taking over 120 credits, the graduation date listed when you first entered college might seem like a pipe dream. Don’t fret, though! With some strategic planning, graduating on time or early is more than doable.

Gifs: 1, 2, 3, 4

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!