7 Struggles of Being a Picky Eater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I’ve been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. There’s actually home videos of me as a baby not wanting to eat baby food. It’s honestly such a struggle being a picky eater. I can’t explain why I am one, I just really can’t try new foods without gagging. I could go my entire life only eating chicken, fries and pizza, and would never complain. There’s so many weird quirks that go into being a picky eater that only picky eaters can understand. Here are seven signs that come with being a picky eater. 

1. Thanksgiving = worst holiday ever

Nothing is worse than being around a group of people during a meal and basically not eating anything. Imagine how picky eaters feel when your around so many people eating a bunch of different foods on a day that is literally dedicated to eating.

2. When you go to a new restaurant and eat nothing on the menu

Picky eaters know the feeling all too well. You immediately regret your decision and spend the rest of the dinner eating a salad, still hungry.

3. Your friends have to text you to see if you eat something

The amount of times you’ve gotten text messages from my friends asking if you eat a certain food is ridiculous. Whether it’s a certain ice cream flavor or a specific type of pizza, the texts never end.

4. Ordering off the kid’s menu

You are the best date ever. Honestly, you could go to the fanciest restaurant and order chicken tenders and fries off the kid’s menu and have no complaints. I’ll never forget the time when the waiter at Olive Garden didn’t let me order off the kid’s menu, and I didn’t go back for a whole year.

5. Trying something new is the worst thing imaginable

There is nothing you hate more than when someone tries to get you to try a new food. There is a 99.9 percent chance that you’ll say no, if you do somehow say yes, you will 100 percent be dramatic and gag.

6. Eating with another family can get awkward

When you go over a friend’s house for dinner there’s nothing more uncomfortable than having to tell their mom that you aren’t hungry and refuse to eat their food. You avoid this situation at all costs.

7. Letting the entire world know when you try a new food

Whenever you do actually try a new food, you just have to tell someone, or everyone. Granted there’s a major chance you didn’t like the food, your mom will always be proud that you at least tried it.

Being a picky eater is definitely not one my favorite qualities. I’ve definitely gotten used to the kind of lifestyle I live when it comes to food. However, some days I definitely feel like a burden on others. It’s a weird and frustrating thing to deal with. I don’t really know why I am the way I am when it comes to food, but maybe one day I’ll change. Who knows!

Photo Credits: Chelsea Schmidt

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!