7 Richmond Restaurants to Try on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you’re a foodie like me, you know you don’t want to be taken to an Applebee’s on a Valentine’s Day date. You want to be wined and dined. Appetizer, entree and dessert. At VCU, we are lucky enough to be surrounded by various mom-and-pop restaurants.

Many of the restaurants around these parts of town are the only of their kind. Although, sometimes it’s hard to tell which spots are worthy enough to try. Before heading over to Yelp, check out this list of popular spots right here in the City of Richmond. These restaurants were picked because of their ambiances and flavors. Don’t settle for the campus Chili’s, there is so much in this city to drool over.

1. Heritage: Heritage is a contemporary American restaurant tucked along Main Street. This place is perfect for Valentine’s Day because of its vibe. It’s dimly lit, so your food snaps may not be the best, but it radiates that romantic feeling. Try the hanger steak.

2. East Coast Provisions: East Coast Provisions is in the heart of Carytown offering yummy seafood and more. It was formerly known as Water Coastal Kitchen, but is still owned by the same folks with the same delicious taste. The place was renovated recently, both the interior and exterior are beautiful. Try the scallops.

3. The Daily Kitchen & Bar: The Daily serves foods that are environmentally friendly, organic, local and all natural. They have a wide variety in their menu that’s pleasing for everyone. Barbeque, Greek, Asian, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan cuisine are just some of the options. Try the filet mignon.

4. Edo’s Squid: Edo’s Squid is hidden quietly above Hibachi Box in the middle of the VCU campus. They are known for their seafood and Italian fare. The place is dimly lit at night, so it has that romantic feel to it. They also give complimentary bread, which is very important when choosing a dining establishment. Try the calamari.

5. Comfort: Comfort has southern cuisine but with a twist. Nestled along Broad Street, Comfort calls the Jackson Ward area home. The food is delicious and the mason jars they serve drinks in are adorable. Try the half chicken and get their macaroni. 

6. Lunch. | Supper!: Brunch or dinner, you must try this place. This restaurant is actually two: lunch or supper. They are located right next to each other in Scott’s Addition. It’s a bit more casual but the menu isn’t. Try the French Canadian for Valentine’s brunch.

7. Shyndigz: Shyndigz is known around town for being a dessert-only restaurant. This is seriously every person’s dream come true (or just mine.) The dining area is adorable and there are plenty of picturesque areas to fake a candid with your significant other. Try the fresh fruit cake.

Cover photo, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!