This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In Richmond, the number of vegan and vegetarian restaurants is endless and many of them are loved by all locals, including the carnivores! Regardless of if you eat meat or not, finding restaurants that sell good food is always super exciting so, here are some vegan and vegetarian restaurants that you need to try!

Ipanema Cafe

Ipanema Cafe is a vegetarian restaurant that sells many vegan options. This cafe is located on West Grace Street, making it super accessible to college students who would rather walk than waste gas money. The dishes sold at Ipanema, besides being plant-based, are extremely tasty and healthy! Definitely worth going if you are near the VCU Monroe Park campus.

NuVegan Cafe

This cafe is also located near the VCU Monroe Park campus so students can go ahead and spend their gas money on yummy food instead of having to drive. NuVegan is popular for its fully vegan soul food and shakes. Here you can find food that makes you ask yourself: “Woah is this really vegan?!” and want to share it with all of your friends because you are in disbelief.

Harrison Street Cafe

Harrison Street Cafe is a vegetarian cafe, but most of the items on the menu can be made 100% vegan and let me tell you, everything is delicious. From their breakfast burritos to peanut butter cups and pastries, it will all make your mouth water and want to try it! Harrison Street Cafe offers options for vegetarians that include dairy products and eggs which can be made vegan by substituting the animal products and to be honest, it tastes just the same or even better!

Fresca on Addison 

This vegetarian cafe offers many vegan options for a great price which is ideal if you are a college student who is on a budget but still wants to eat healthy and tasty foods! Every dish they serve can be made vegan by tweaking a few things, those dishes vary from soups that are as cheap as $3 dollars to tacos and pizzas. Fresca sells innovative dishes that are worth the try! My personal favorite is their curry veggie tacos that feature their delicious curry mayo.

821 Cafe

Any student who is looking for a restaurant with a vegan-friendly option that also sells dishes for meat lovers and is close to campus should try 821 Cafe. If you eat here, you are bound to find a dish you’ll love. Every Sunday customers line up outside of 821 to eat their delicious breakfast, which they serve until 4 p.m. so no matter how late you sleep in you can still make it on time for brunch! 

Hang Space RVA

Hang Space is a 100% vegan eatery where they sell amazing vegan food as well as provide a great space for costumers to enjoy their food. Their menu consists of delicious vegan snacks to eat while hanging out with friends and enjoying the laid back atmosphere of the cafe. Here you can find a variety of dishes from vegan barbeque and burgers to delicious vegan cookies that are definitely worth every calorie!

Vegan or not enjoying good food is something most of us are always in the need for. Whether it is comfort food, breakfast, brunch or soul food Richmond is filled with amazing eateries that offer all of those options made vegan and delicious!

Fran Ramos is a VCU student where she is majoring in Public Relations. She spends most of her time trying new Pho restaurants with her friends or listening to music. She is a mom to three cats, Lorenzo, Teresa and Oswald and loves to spam her social media followers with pictures of them.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!