6 Things That Happen When You Become an Aunt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Since I have a sister who is 11 years older than me, I constantly used to want her to settle down for my own selfish reasons. I wanted her to move out so I could take her room, I wanted her to get married so I could be a bridesmaid and I wanted her to get pregnant just because I wanted to have a baby around that I don’t have to raise on my own. Out of all of these things, becoming an aunt was the absolute best thing that could’ve happened to me. There’s so many little things that only aunts would understand about having a niece or nephew. Here are a few things about what it’s like to be an aunt:

1. Constantly talking about him/her

If you know me at all, you know that I’m completely obsessed about my nephew. I could be talking to someone about something completely not about family or babies and still manage to bring my nephew up into conversation.

2. Your niece/nephew is all over your camera roll

Most people don’t like people looking through their camera roll because they have endless screenshots or embarrassing photographs. However, when it comes to me you won’t find anything secretive on my phone except endless pictures and videos of my nephew.

3. Constantly shopping for the baby (is this just me?)

When my sister revealed that she was pregnant, she made it clear that she was not going to reveal the sex of her baby. Due to this, when she had my nephew and it was (obviously) revealed that it was a boy, I went absolutely insane with the shopping. It’s pretty hard for me to spend money on other people, but it comes to my nephew I can’t stop! I can’t even imagine how I would be if I had a niece though.

4. Constantly bragging about the baby

My nephew can do no wrong. I feel like I’m one of those moms who praises their child for doing the smallest things. You can’t even try to tell me that my nephew is just like any other baby!

5. Realizing that you’re not even remotely ready to be a mom

You would think that the baby fever would be high for me since I’m so incredibly obsessed with my nephew. However, that is not the case at all. When you have a niece or nephew, you see how much goes into being a parent. It’s not all cuddles and cute pictures, being a parent is tough work. I’ll stick to being the ‘cool aunt’ for now!

6. Unconditional love

No matter what, I’ll always love my nephew. It’s that kind of special bond that will never go away. Overall, being an aunt is such a rewarding feeling especially as a college student. It makes me so excited for the future for when I’m able to begin a family on my own. Not only that, but it is amazing to watch my nephew grow up within my own eyes.

Photo Credits: 1, 4. all other photos contributed by author         

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!