etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Spring Break Destinations in Virginia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Upon hearing the words “spring break,” most college students imagine nonstop partying on beaches in Florida, Texas and Mexico. If bikinis and beer isn’t your thing, or you just want to stay in-state, perhaps you would like to visit some of these not-so-typical spring break destinations. 

1. Shenandoah National Park

Nature lovers will love cruising along Skyline Drive, seeing breathtaking mountains and greenery from all angles. Activities include guided nature hikes, horseback riding, camping and wildlife-watching.

2. Williamsburg  

History in our backyard! Visit Williamsburg to get a taste of what life in early America was like, and learn a little about how America got started. If history bores you and you are more of a thrill-seeker, you can always jump on a roller coaster at Busch Gardens!

3. Eastern Shore

The Eastern Shore is separated from the rest of Virginia by the Chesapeake Bay. Taking a trip here can make you feel like you’ve left the state without actually crossing any borders. You’re still on an in-state spring break vacation. If you are the sporty type, you may enjoy taking kite boarding lessons or if you are into science, you can visit the NASA Wallops Flight Facility Visitor Center. The best part is seeing the wild ponies!

4. Loudoun County

Loudoun County is in northern Virginia and boasts of more wineries than any other state. Take the Loudoun County Wine Trail and enjoy the clusters of boutique wineries while admiring the backdrop of beautiful rolling hills.

5. Virginia Beach

Virginia’s own spring break destination! There are over 28 miles of beach, thousands of accommodation options, a few miles of boardwalk and so many restaurants, bars and nightclubs that you simply can’t become bored during your visit. Just remember to drink plenty of water before going to bed so you can get up the following day and enjoy some water sports.

6. Tangier Island

Escape from the hectic, fast-paced of city life to this beautiful island. This island is located in the Chesapeake Bay and has something for everyone. Activities include golfing, charter fishing, kayaking and more. When you are tired and hungry, fill up on the freshest, yummiest crab cakes. Delicious!

Image Sources: shenandoahhills.com, snipview.com, inquisitr.com, easternshorevablog.com, restaurants-guide4u.com, nao.usace.army.mil, coastalcare.org, onceuponachef.com

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!