6 Homemade Gifts to Give From a Horrible Gift Giver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you are like me, you’ve never really been the best at giving gifts. Now, I’m not the Grinch that stole Christmas, but I have always had trouble spending money in general for other people, especially on gifts that I knew they would use once and then probably throw away. But in the past year, I have really changed my outlook on giving gifts. I think even small, homemade gifts will be appreciated by everyone for the effort and thoughtfulness that were put into them. There are many DIY gifts that you can make at home that every person can use. Here are five homemade gifts to give from a horrible gift giver, yours truly.

1. Gingerbread Bath bombs

Everyone loves to take baths in the winter months and these bath bombs are totally cute. Anyone will love this easy-to-make homemade gift. There are so many different recipes to make bath bombs and this is just one of them. Check out Pinterest for other great bath bomb recipes for any occasion or holiday season.

2. Cake Scented Funfetti Candle

If all other DIY gifts fail, you can never, ever go wrong with a candle. Anyone can use a candle and it smells good so, this one is a win-win. Candles are great basic, non-specific gifts than can be given to literally anyone. This candle is super cute with the colorful sprinkles and is also easy to make. I’m going to be making this DIY gift for my roommates and boyfriends parents. It’s a great gift to remind people that you are thinking of them. Plus it looks and smells like cake!

3. Photo Ornament

For people that like more sentimental gifts, you can make a photo ornament. These ornaments are quick and easy to make and are great for the holiday season. This gift is ideal for grandparents, loved ones or even friends!

4. Ginger Sugar Scrub

Sticking to the whole ginger theme, everyone needs to exfoliate in the winter! Once again, sugar scrubs are totally customizable and can be tweaked to fit anyone’s favorite scent. Sugar scrubs help to gently exfoliate the skin and can be easily washed off in the shower. Anyone who receives this homemade gift will love it!

5. Caramel Apple Butter

Food gifts are great gifts to give for the holidays, because who doesn’t like food? If you’re no chef Gordon Ramsey, that’s okay, because there are many easy recipes anyone can make and give as a gift. One of those recipes is caramel apple butter. Caramel apple butter is a sweet spread that you can spread on toast or cookies. 

6. Personalized Mug

Nothing says winter more than drinking some hot cocoa out of a mug. How cool would it be if you personalized that mug? It’s actually easier than you might think to make your own personalized mug. All you need is a sharpie, mug and oven. The possibilities of this gift are endless. You could write someone’s name, favorite thing to do or even just something festive for the holidays, like a snowman.

Thinking of thoughtful gifts can be hard, especially around the holiday season. Just remember that a homemade gift is just as good as a store bought gift and it is about the though that counts. I hope you enjoyed some of these DIY homemade gifts and decide to try one out this holiday season!

Photo credits: Cover photo, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Meagan is a Junior at Virginia Commonwealth University obtaining a degree in bachelor of Science (B.S) with a concentration in Health Science. Meagan would describe herself as a free spirit whose goal in life is to be happy. She is interested in natural and organic beauty products and enjoys fashion and makeup. Although she does not label herself as vegan, she tries to eat mostly plant-based. Meagan's career goal is to be a health and wellness writer for a company. She will be graduation in the year 2020. Currently, Meagan is an active She enjoys all things natural beauty and sustainability. She was born and raised in Northern Virginia where she lived with her Mom, Dad, and older brother who attends Virginia Tech.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!