Career > Work

5 Ways to Build a Great Writing Portfolio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As writers, balancing school, relationships, work and building a jaw-dropping portfolio can sometimes seem overwhelming. A portfolio is critical to solidifying a future in writing because it provides an opportunity to showcase how your voice is unique from others. Follow these five tips to make the experience of building a portfolio more like creating a work of art and less of a monster task to conquer.

Cast your net

The first thing to do is to think big. Apply to everything that has caught your eye, no matter how out of reach it may seem. Stretching your reach a bit could lead to a life-changing opportunity. Imposter syndrome can creep up when the time comes to fill out an application or head to an interview, but don’t let those things discourage you. According to a report cited by Harvard Business Review, “Men apply for a job when they meet only 60% of the qualifications, but women apply only if they meet 100% of them… the advice: women need to have more faith in themselves.” If you think back to how much you have already accomplished, you will likely surprise yourself with things you had already forgotten about.

Look local

There are likely many opportunities at your university and within your local community that have simply never crossed your feed. Seek out student organizations related to your major to see if they are aware of any upcoming opportunities. For example, at VCU, the Robertson School of Media and Culture and the Advertising Club at VCU host a week-long advertising event called Robertson Rush. There is also CreateAthon at VCU, a 24-hour long creative challenge created as an “innovative way to provide pro bono creative services to non-profits.” For local jobs, do a quick Google search to find what is available in your immediate area. Some of the most enriching opportunities to grow as a writer may be right around the corner, it’s just about finding them.

Ask a mentor

Professors, family friends, advisors and upperclassmen all are great resources to connect with when looking for opportunities. Some members of your direct network may not have an answer for you immediately, but that is not the end of the road. Your network’s own network could connect you to jobs and journalists with who you previously never had any connections. Asking is the first step because the worst answer you could get is ‘no’. Even then, if it is a ‘no’ this time, that person is now more likely to notify you if an opportunity does ever cross their desk.

Create your own space

In addition to utilizing the steps above, you can create your own platform. Starting a blog or vlog to share your content is just as much of a representation of your creativity and skill, if not even more so than working underneath the assignment of someone else. Best of all, employers love to see this kind of initiative among candidates.

Say yes to everything

Never discount any opportunity as something too small. Even writing a quick feature story for a friend is getting your name out in places it wasn’t before and demonstrating another facet of your skillset you may need to show in the future. Every chance you have to write, take it, especially when you’re just beginning to build your portfolio.

Most of all, have fun with your work. Picture the kind of content you wish to make and using the suggestions above, find a channel to start creating it. 

Taya Coates is a senior studying fashion merchandising and minoring in journalism. She hopes to pursue a career as a fashion editor and eventually start her own publication. She is passionate about covering stories on style, social activism, and culture.