Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Ways to Survive Winter Single: COVID-19 Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The most wonderful time of the year looks a little different this year. There was no way to expect this “cuffing season” to be so isolated. With COVID-19 a looming threat to the dating scene, it seems being single is the trend for this winter. While it may not be the best time to meet new people, it’s perfect for reconnecting with yourself. Take time to learn the parts of yourself other people know and love, and truly discover what makes you, you! Here is how to survive a usually social time of the year flying solo.

Take Yourself Out

Being stuck inside day after day can make each blend together. Taking yourself out can shake up your routine! Go to a museum or pick out a new movie to watch and enjoy the beauty of being independent. Being your own plus-one gives you time to get to know the deeper parts of yourself and feel comfortable without any distractions.  

Build a Home Base

While COVID-19 has changed what friendships look like face-to-face, the value of a close circle remains a top priority. Take this time to build stronger connections with your friends and family while socially distanced. Facetime calls can lead to powerful conservations, building trust and strength between friends.  

Meditate 

Mindfulness is one of the most over-looked self-healing practices, but it is by far the most accessible to pick up. Benefits of consistent meditation include improved sleep quality, easier time focusing and improved mental clarity. Instead of mindlessly scrolling through couples on Instagram, take five minutes a day to rebalance your mind and reset your intentions. There are free resources on almost every platform, with my personal favorite being Headspace.  

Practice Proper Self Care

Decide what self-care looks like and spoil yourself! Treat yourself to a Friday spa night and let a face mask wipe away the stress from the week. If you tend to eat out, get dressed up and cook yourself a date-night dinner. Feeling stuck in your current style? This is the perfect time to donate unworn clothes and build the outward appearance of your dreams. 

Pick Up a Hobby

Keep your mind busy by engaging in new activities that spark your interest. Creative hobbies like crocheting or painting may also provide the benefit of extra income during the gift-giving season. Whatever you choose, allow yourself to put down your phone and truly connect with yourself in the activity. 

With there being no quick end to COVID-19 in sight, it is likely meeting new people will just have to wait. There is no shame in spending this winter without a significant other. Take time this “cuffing season” to cuff yourself—rediscover you and find comfort in being away from the daily hustle. Most of all, enjoy spending time in your own company. Remove the stereotype that you have to have a significant other during the winter and enjoy it on your own. Remember, you are not truly alone and should not let anyone convince you that you need a relationship to be happy.

Lila is a Sophomore who recently transferred to VCU. She is studying Mechanical Engineering, and enjoys writing, crochet and music.