This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

We’ve all been there before. The anxiousness that comes with deciding what to do on a Friday night, what to wear or who to hang out with. The nagging feeling in the back of your head that you’re always missing out on something. The jealousy filling you up when you check your social media platforms and see everyone else having a better time than you. It’s easy to feel like you’re always missing out on something better or to feel overwhelmed with all of the choices you have to make to feel like you’re living life to its full potential. In fact, we call this FOMO, or Fear of Missing Out syndrome.

Being in college, especially as a freshman can be extremely overwhelming. It seems like there are always a million things to do, and it can be hard to decide what to focus your attention on. It’s easy to feel like you aren’t “doing” college right if you aren’t constantly on the move, making friends every hour and going to every single event possible. When you take social media into account it’s even harder to avoid the nagging feeling that you’re missing out on everything good. In fact, in a study by Mashable, it was found that more than 56 percent of social media users suffer from FOMO

1. Accept that things are happening without you, and that’s okay. 

Remember to take a step back and realize that you can’t possibly partake in every single event. Breathe, and look at all the things you’ve done so far. Remember that sometimes social media doesn’t portray the whole story. Understand that it’s a natural reaction to feel like you’re missing out. It’s okay to admit to yourself that you want to do everything and you can’t, and you’re scared that you’re missing out on what could be the greatest event of your life. Then remind yourself that if it’s meant to be, it will be. 

2. Do what you want to do. 

It’s easy to get lost in college. It may seem like there are so many expectations for you as a college student. Always remember that you’re here to do what YOU want to do. If you want to join a club, Greek life, a sport, do it because it’s what you are interested in. Ignore any of the stereotypes associated with what you want and find out if it’s for you. On another note, don’t feel compelled to do certain things just because they’re deemed “cool”, especially on social media. 

3. Be present. 

If you’re feeling FOMO, you might not be fully present in your current situation because you’re too preoccupied with everything that you’re missing. This could lead to even more FOMO because you’re missing out on the event that you’re actually at. Practice mindfulness and pay attention to your surroundings. 

4. Use FOMO to push yourself. 

FOMO can be a positive thing! If you feel like you’re missing out, this could be an opportunity for you to push yourself. If you feel like you’re missing out, you can go get involved on campus and make new friends. You can use it to evaluate your life and see what’s lacking- and use that knowledge to fulfill it. You can push yourself to your full potential. 

5. Know that it might not go away. 

FOMO might not go away immediately. It’s something that should be managed. You don’t have to delete all of your social media applications, you just have to remember that you’re living your life to the fullest too, and you shouldn’t be jealous. It might creep up from time to time, but just remember that you’re doing your best. 

Salinna Lor is a freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's addicted to coffee, frozen yogurt, vloggers, Kate Spade, and writing. You can catch her on Instagram or Twitter (@salinnalor)
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!